OD pedal suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsouthpaw

Reaction score
So my Pod XT has finally given up the ghost and I need to start rebuilding my pedal chain. This time I want to go with dedicated pedal effects. First up is a boost/OD pedal. I mainly play high gain so this will be to tighten up my sound.

I was thinking of the Maxon 808 mainly because it's what I had way back when, but I'm open to any suggestions in the $200 or less price range. I know there are a zillion OD pedals out there - are there any I should absolutely avoid for high gain scenarios? Is there some new super cool OD that I should take a look at?

Unfortunately the nearest store with any selection of pedals is about 130 miles away from where I live, so just going and sampling a few is really difficult for me.

I was going to say and Ibanez TS808HW, but you'll do fine with the Maxon.

I actually looked at the 808HW and also the Keeley modded TS's. Would I be wasting the extra money if I'm pushing high gain most of the time?

Now that I think about it true bypass would be really nice. I do remember hating the thin sound I used to get when my Maxon wasn't engaged.

The price on the TS808HW is high, for sure. I'm not sure it's that much better for the dollar, but IMO it is better. How much better? I'm not sure it's worth all the money I spent on it, but since I have it... :lol:

I also have a Keeley modded TS9 that will give it a run. My stock OCD ver. 4 pedal is pretty **** good as well. I keep them all around because every now and then one falls out of favor.

ncsouthpaw said:
I actually looked at the 808HW and also the Keeley modded TS's. Would I be wasting the extra money if I'm pushing high gain most of the time?

Now that I think about it true bypass would be really nice. I do remember hating the thin sound I used to get when my Maxon wasn't engaged.

You probably would be wasting money on a modded or really expensive OD, as those are for when you run them into a clean amp and use the pedal for your gain.

I've seen a lot of suggestions for the Maxon GT-OD. I've only used the Digitech Bad Monkey, which is cheap but isn't true bypass. Otherwise I'd say get one.

I love my TS but in honesty it colors the tone quite a bit. Which is fine for
what I use it for. So what I suggest is a Cusack Screamer!
It will only color your tone if you want to dial that in but easily tightens
tone and adds level. I have an older one with out the extra switch. They
have gotten cheaper and can be had for 100 bux or maybe a bit more.
I use it the most these days especially with high gain modules.

+2 on the cusack. I got a Cusack Screamer 2 and it was about 240 smackaroos. If you can find one for $100, i would pic it up withou hesitation. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap boss OD and your gonn sound like a hundred dollar pedal.

I have a Gearmanndude Luther drive that is really great. It's based on a Maxon, is hand-wired, and costs $107 shipped from GMD himself. I'd recommend it!

i love the Xotic stuff for this, both the BB and EP Booster are great for cleans and high gain, really fattens the sound while still "tightening" up the sound and don't have that honky midrange that most TS pedals (and their rip-offs) have.

I'm expecting UPS delivery of an old black-box Butler Real Tube this afternoon. I won it on eBay last week. It's supposed to be as good as the new hand-wired Butler Tube Driver.

Has anyone here tried the Zen Drive? They're as rare as hen's teeth on eBay and usually sell for the price of a brand new one.

I've have the original tube driver, the 911 version and the new handmade one and have had the black box version. The black box is similarly voiced to the other three but not quite the same. Its like the difference between a stock ts9 and a tweaked out susack screamer.

The zendrive is my second favorite od for low gain leads, doesn't like single coils all that much and there are better pedals for rythm playing.

for a cheapie, the Bad Monkey works great. I've been planning to take it off my board for ages because of the tone suckage. But when it's on, I really like what it does. Might leave it on the board and pop it in a bypass loop. ;)

for clean boost, I still like my MI Audio Boost'n'Buff. It's a clean boost, a treble booster and it's a line buffer! The latest revisions have a gain control too.

I'll throw this out. Guitar fetish makes an awesome overdrive/tube screamer that has the beloved "jrc4558" chip that most of the expensive guys use. It also is true bypass and analog. Best part is, it's only $50 + shipping.
I use guitar fetish for other misc. parts and got this due to its schematics.
Also has a 3way toggle for classic-fat-tight.
AMAZING! I took it apart and it's soldered well and has good components, with a HD case. What else could you want?

:shock: :shock: :shock: At Guitar Fetish! AWESOME looking pedals with the right parts and true bypass for CHEAP...Thanks a ton for the link LunatiBSW! I never looked that closely at them...I'm gonna order one this week...The reviews I've read are all positive...The Screamers use the same chips as Ibanez too!

Ur welcome fig!
Exact same chip as the more reputable brands, but with a toggle! Us MTS users love the toggles. It's a no brainer.

Consider an IbanezTube King. TK999 is the product number if memory serves. It requires a Pv wall wart,but it has a real tube and it does an admirable job.
GtrGeorge

Mattfig said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: At Guitar Fetish! AWESOME looking pedals with the right parts and true bypass for CHEAP...Thanks a ton for the link LunatiBSW! I never looked that closely at them...I'm gonna order one this week...The reviews I've read are all positive...The Screamers use the same chips as Ibanez too!

I had a gfs brownie and thought it was pretty cool, especially for $50.