orarge drop

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcat

Reaction score
Anyone know a source for reasonably priced orange drop caps? I'm new to modding and just wondering if the guitar parts folk are marking up the cap prices (I've been paying 2/2.50 bucks thus far). If that is the going rate no problem, just curious as I'm about to pick up a bunch.

Try Mouser you are paying too much through guitar tech stores. Here is a link to a common Orange drop on mouser for comparison .022uf polypro orange drop .88 cents

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sprague/715P22354KD3/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvCt%252bwg%252braTunJA%252bR3sajFTrIG4CIWyk3I%3d

thetubestore.com carries most all of the proper values for doing work in amps. Great prices too. I find it much easier to find what I need at thetubestore.com, but mouser is also a great source, it's just way too much to sift through for me.

Why thank you kind sirs. I just dropped from a .0022uf to a .001 in the c1 of an xtc and found it just a touch too much, think I'll have to experiment with a few different values as I didn't expect such a dramatic change. cheers for the leads.

Radio Daze has them for pennies ...I will be ordering mine from there from now on.

By the way, what were the changes in that position when you changed the values?

Lotus1 said:
By the way, what were the changes in that position when you changed the values?
Thanks for the cap tip. I hate to pass on any advice as to the changes as I dropped the value of C1, changed out a resistor here and there as well as threw in a 5751 in V1. I basically changed too many things at once to isolate what happened to make the difference accurately, although the module did sound thinner afterward.
I thought the lower C1 value thinned the tone but tightened it up also. The 5751 cleaned up the mod but may have been the bigger decider in the thinning (there was a very noticeable drop in compression/saturation). After putting a 12ax7 back in the module, it was much more to my liking. In short I could PM my results at a later date as I hate to keep bumping this thread if I don't feel my findings are worth sharing. I'm about to start experimenting again and am now stocked up on parts.
I do however wish I had another XTC as so I could A/B accurately as I monitor any progress.
... Just noticed I titled this thread "orarge drop." - One too many cans of Rainier that night me thinks, perfect for messing with circuit boards.

Thanks. I am going to try a different vaalue in that spot anyway just to see. I also wish I had another Plexi to A/B what I've done. I may get one today. There is one with a black face plate left at the store i got the head at. Happy modding. If you ever want to share mods, drop me a PM.