Overdrive pedals

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Bogner pedal the other day..it costs $275 and is supposedly designed by Egnater..
and way , it had good dynamics but the tone was quite raspy and unpleasant thru a Peavey 30 watt tube amp...which is a pretty good amp to show what a pedal will do.
...and 275!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also played thru a Carl martin Plexitone, it was 188, not cheap...and it was very good at at that one tone...but lacked dynamics..the signal got very "limited" once the pedal was engaged. Granted all distortion will have that as an aspect, but when its extreme...it can be non-musical.
GtrGeorge

Did you try the red right into a clean channel or slightly breaking up? Apparently it is best through a really good clean.

That said, I was interested in these pedals but like you mentioned, in almost all the demos they seemed fizzy to me at higher gain settings. I heard only one demo that really blew me away but then compare it to the other 10+ that didn't convince me .. I decided not to get the blue.

Nobody has yet mentioned the RAT. Most of the times I do not like the RAT as a booster but I does great work with the Salvation Custom 3 in Crunch Mode.

pedals & software are match made in heaven IMHO

GR5 flat out loves pedals (even cheapies like a Dano CM-1 which
sounds like Poo thru most amps turns into a molten modded marshall
~ no joke !)

GR5 also loves my RM4 and modded modules too !

The more I tweak GR5 and use stomp pedals the closer I get to some of my prized module's tonage (59' RR, Voodoo Recto, Camerica, HBE, even my MOM :shock: )

I talking close like 85%-90% range & this is without a single tube
- 100% SS (right my set-up is pedal board - PC/GR5 - fx return of a Marshall MG100 - 2 x 12 cab)

really simple and really spectactular sounding for small recording
setup

I like what I hear in those Boggy pedals vids *especially the Blue*
can wait to try a Blue thru GR5 (EVH ?)

TIP for GR5 users

1. use out board delay & reverb - not the ones in GR5

2. open any patch and put the cab sim "1st in line !!" (not last in line
like all the GR5 presets) and run it out into a real amp/cab like my setup

I'm betting it'll now sound a whole lot more like a real amp and not
a *yuck* sim

What's wrong with this one? Only $70 bucks? Seems worth a try at that price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wqU4qEO90

I have one of the Biyang OD-8 pedals you can get off ebay for 50 bucks. True bypass, solid metal enclosure, solid build quality. Sounds just like a tube screamer, so it's great to tighten up the low end or what I use it for it to add a bit of mids and extra gain for leads.

The other one that seems to sound great with any amp is the mad professor sweet honey. That thing sounds awesome on clean or edge of breakup channels. So far through 3 different "main" rigs that pedal is a constant on my board for low to mid gain stuff. Just one "tone" knob so it takes about 2 seconds to dial in.

For a couple years I had a Dr Z Z-28 and that sweet honey sounded amazing through that thing.

I have one of the Biyang OD-8 pedals you can get off ebay for 50 bucks. True bypass, solid metal enclosure, solid build quality. Sounds just like a tube screamer, so it's great to tighten up the low end or what I use it for it to add a bit of mids and extra gain for leads.

The other one that seems to sound great with any amp is the mad professor sweet honey. That thing sounds awesome on clean or edge of breakup channels. So far through 3 different "main" rigs that pedal is a constant on my board for low to mid gain stuff. Just one "tone" knob so it takes about 2 seconds to dial in.

For a couple years I had a Dr Z Z-28 and that sweet honey sounded amazing through that thing.

Ive got an Analogman modded SD-1 that's pretty cool but honestly I'v been turning to the Tube Screamer sim on my Boss GT10 rather than addig more crap to my signal chain. The Analogman SD-1 is killer- but a tad noisy- Certainly a notch above a stock vrsion....There's youtube vids out there showing this GT10 Tube Screamer simulation vs a Keely modded Tube Screamers and the Boss's was virtually the same. The Boss also has killer clean boosts and I've just discovered a "Mid Boost"that's awesome too. I tend to use little to zero drive and bump the level higher with these to keep as much of the original tone as possible. And as mentioned above- if you're gonna boost- you'd typically want to compensate with some more low end somewhere (which the GT10 has tone shaping on the fly or I can activate a killer Furman Parametric EQ sim too).... GT10 has all kinds of Distortion, Overdrive and boost pedals built into it. Some are straight simulations and others are just generic "Clean boosts" or "Treble Boost" "Mid Boost" etc. I really cant tell the difference vs real pedals.

I'm thinking of trying that twin overdrive from GFS. Set it on the pedal board vertically so that with one flat stomp i can switch from rythm dirt to a more lead dirt. Great concept.

Joyo pedals ha a sweet honey rip off too in case anyone is looking for more cost effective approaches.

I built a BYOC OD2 which is a clean boost on the left and a tube screamer on the right, two on/off buttons. I like it because the clean boost really just juices up the mods on clean and pushes them to the edge or if i have a dirty setting on a mod, it gets a bit nasty but a very full bodied, harmonically rich sound. The tube screamer does what you would expect but because i added the mosfet circuit in it, I can switch between mosfet and silicon for the op amp. it's cool. there are sounds I think I have not yet found. it can do the thin, bright distortion/overdrive or the full thick meaty thing. In conjunction with the keeley modded Blues OD it seems to be the bomb.

rblyn,
the GT10 is the first and only Boss product I could not get along with.
The size,the weight, even the tone just wasnt working for me at all.
I really think they could and should do better. Just sharing my expereinces,...I know others love it it, and thats cool.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
rblyn,
the GT10 is the first and only Boss product I could not get along with.
The size,the weight, even the tone just wasnt working for me at all.
I really think they could and should do better. Just sharing my expereinces,...I know others love it it, and thats cool.
GtrGeorge

Yeah- I remember talking back and forth with you on the setup. Again, I use it in "Four Cable Method" which lets me place effects/EQ/Wah and everything in correct place because it has it's own effects loop. It also controls my RM100 via midi- AND I use it in front my RM20 to make it a three channel amp. Of course everyone's different and I totally respect that. Its very similar to other products out there (made by Digitech and Line 6) and certainly serves its purpose for me. I do have some good effects pedals to compare it to (delay and boosts/modded SD-1) and am very impressed- but it is more of a floorboard vs a pedal- all in one kind of solution....so it may not work for everyone...

I've got a few pedals I rarely use (AC Booster, Blackstone, DS-1, OCD, Tone Press), but the one I do use regularly is my modified Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, which essentially is a clean boost and a tube screamer clone in parallel.

I merely changed mine to asymmetrical clipping and added some bottom end back to minimize the TS808 style mid-boost.

Great pedal for use in front of a hot tube preamp as you can hit V1 as hard as you like with the boost side, and add in only as much OD as you want to avoid over-compressing things.

Kapo_Polenton said:
I'm thinking of trying that twin overdrive from GFS. Set it on the pedal board vertically so that with one flat stomp i can switch from rythm dirt to a more lead dirt. Great concept.

Joyo pedals ha a sweet honey rip off too in case anyone is looking for more cost effective approaches.

The Greenie of theirs I have is one of my faves...It's every bit as good as ones that cost 3x as much too...Metal casing...True Bypass...Awesome tone...

The twin looks especially tasty!

Well, that twin GFS might have to wait as i got a good deal on a MXR classic overdrive (with toggle switch inside). Seeing as i really liked the ZW-44 and wanted to try a GT-OD I figured i'd try this guy. I also picked up a xotic EP booster for clean boost which i have liked clips of so i'll give them a go.

The Atomic Overdrive is a great pedal. Very amp-like.

Pete Thorn demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eiiN26BY3M

I'm selling mine because I just got a Quick Mod, but its a great pedal

Latest posts