Parallel modules, hack MTS!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be done, I'm doing it, though there are limitations. See my earlier post in this thread.

audiomidijace said:
When I asked Bruce about this, he said it could not be done.

djdayson said:
It can be done, I'm doing it, though there are limitations. See my earlier post in this thread.

audiomidijace said:

Yeah, but your post left me with mostly more questions and wanting to see pics and know more specific info about what your RM2 thing really is and does.

The modules could be hacked to provide "A" or "B" in a RM4.

Adding Eggie channel switching from an external non-MIDI pedal would also work, though not via MIDI, rather you'd need to hack it to control the internal CV (assuming the GCX can switch non-MIDI amp channels like my X-15 does). Adding a switch would work as well.

The Eggie channel/MTS module switching duties are ultimately controlled by CV (CV controlled by MIDI stock), so controlling the CV can accomplish whatever you need.

Again, be aware that you'll need a mixing matrix if mixing, and a old-school way to control the CV like a mechanical switch (foot, toggle, within a MIDI pedal like the X-15 etc). Also, again, the phase flips with added tube stages so some module combinations will not mix well in mono.

jimosity said:
On the Egnater modules, there are relays I think that do the switching.
I think I read that Jeff Hilligan can modify the modules so that it selects channel B instead of A in a single channel setup...which leads me to believe that maybe it's possible to put in a toggle at least to select between the two sides of an Egnater module when used in a single channel RM4 or RM unit?

If that's possible, maybe instead of a toggle, a 1/4" (or 1/8" jack) could be added to allow for midi switching via GCX or even a G-Major to get to both channels of an Egnater module. I have an RM100 with a G-Major mounted in the chassis, I sure wouldn't mind a couple 1/8" cables running to some modded Egnater modules if it meant I could use both channels without modding my RM100 since that seems like a huge pain.

It's a black 2U box with two MTS slots and some knobs. If you're not a EE or otherwise able to build a tube amp from scratch then you'd need someone to do it for you as there are lethal voltages inside (don't mess around if you don't know what you're doing!). Our RM2 is primitive in that it doesn't have MIDI, and it mixes passively which does create some interaction between the two modules. It's powered by our own design transformer-less hybrid 50W tube amp (lightweight at only 12lbs!).

Bruce helped us to modify it to accept Eggie Dual Modules, though since he's going to be building his E2 going forward I won't be divulging any specific details (better to buy the E2 when it's available and have Egnater mod it to mix perhaps?).

Here's a horrible cell phone pic of the RM2...

RM2.jpg

jimosity said:
djdayson said:

audiomidijace said:

Yeah, but your post left me with mostly more questions and wanting to see pics and know more specific info about what your RM2 thing really is and does.