Patch cables!? What do you like...George L's,LAVA...?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikal69 said:
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Evidence Audio cables, I use the Melody and Monorail cables for my rig, totally blew my George L's out of the watter in natural clarity and more tone. GL's seem to have a bump in the upper midrange similar to Tube Screamer.
Those are great cables. I love the Evidence Audio stuff. David Gilmour uses the Lyric HG and the Melody for live performances. It really gives you more of everything frequency wise, but the first thing I noticed was a significant bump in the midrange and highs. I used the Melody and the Lyric for a while, but the Zaolla cable just sounds that little bit better, but it also has a more responsive feel to it that just makes it more fun to play. I know that is a pretty unscientific assessment. I like both of them a lot though. I would use Evidence cables above anything else, except Zaolla and it's not by a landslide. I want to check out the newer Forte cable Evidence is producing. I got to try new stuff or I might be missing out, right? FYI, if you want to save some money on interconnects it is important to convert the high impedance signal coming out of your guitar into a low impedance one. Active pickups are excluded since they are already outputting a low impedance signal. For passive pickups you want to plug into something that has a buffer circuit that will convert the signal. It could be a tuner, compressor, effects, box etc...The result is that the signal will not be as susceptible to cable capacitance and long signal chains. So if you have a high quality cable going from your guitar to the buffer you are good. It almost doesn't matter at all what kind of cable you use after it buffers down to a low impedance signal. Check this video out. It really shows the differences in signal transfer of a low impedance signal. It is for a circuit called the Redeemer that installs right into your guitar. It's almost like active electronics...You can get great tone out of an old ratty extension cord? What??? It's an eye opener.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tbkwXX054

daryl speak truth. Once you have lowered the source impedance (that which is driving the cable) the high freq roll off cause by cable capacitance is pushed up beyond the audible spectrum.

oh, and a side note: for [whosoever sake you want to put here] don't drop a ton a cash on a replacement IEC power cable like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-PL300-8-Performance-Detachable/dp/B0000AKPNI

a great place in the US to buy IEC power cords is at Good Will, about $2.00. I have even gotten some medical grade outlet strips there and they sound fabulous! :roll:

eedude said:
oh, and a side note: for [whosoever sake you want to put here] don't drop a ton a cash on a replacement IEC power cable like this...

a great place in the US to buy IEC power cords is at Good Will, about $2.00. I have even gotten some medical grade outlet strips there and they sound fabulous! :roll:
Huh? I hadn't heard of the different grades of IEC replacements. I got a bunch of IEC replacements from my work when we finished a contract and tossed them. I fished them out of the recycle bin. I don't know if they are good quality or not exactly. I use them for computers and monitors etc...
What criteria should I look for in a good IEC?

eedude said:

That's insane. Unless I reverse any and all hearing impairment, I highly doubt that power cord will make any difference what so ever... even then I doubt it would make a noticeable difference, unless you were using some insanely thin wire in a power cord.

Hamner1 said:
That's insane. .

yeah it is! Some kid wrote into Guitar World "ask the tech" (or whatever it's called) and asked about "upgrading his power cable" to a monster cable and the friggen bozo (sorry) tech gave the kid the go ahead to do it!

- daryl what to look for. I duno, it should be a little stiff, have some weight and it should not get warm in normal use (i'm talking about the power cable). For 99% of stuff it just don't matter.. 100W guitar amps do suck a ton of power, so if it's real flexible it may be a little to wimpy.

Latest posts