Pete Ultra problems, any ideas?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchtime

Reaction score
I just got a Pete Ultra in a trade but it seems to not be working right.

It works at very low volumes but when I turn it up, it only makes a loud buzzy screech. I put my Ultra XL in the amp, an RM20, and it worked perfect. I put the XL preamp tubes in the Pete Ultra and it still had the same problem so I know it's not the tubes. I even tried some other tubes I have I know are good and they worked in the XL and the Pete Ultra did not work with them.

Any ideas what's wrong with this module?

this was originally my module that was traded to Crunchtime. it worked perfectly the last time i played it, messed up in the mail is my only thought.

really frustrating, i hope there's some way to make it work.

Try reseating the module in the amp by pulling one side out more than the other and vice versa. Or try pulling the whole module out a little at a time to see if it makes better contact. Do you have a Randall dealer you? Maybe you could try it in one of their amps just to verify it's working or not. If it does work then I would sell it.

This has happened to me twice and to someone I sold a module to. Sometimes the modules just don't want to work with certain amps/preamps. I had a XTC that I could maneuver to make contact but it was too dramatic for me because it barely sat in the chassis. I had an Ultra that didn't work in my RM4, but worked fine in another guys RM00, as well as the XTC. I had a Clean that worked great for me, but not the guy I sold it too.

Shipping damage = probably a buggered pot then.

Without knowing what mods are done to this..I have seen solder joints go screwy in teh mail...so if it's got a push.pull pot in gain or volume, might want to check the connections there.

Get it to me one way or the other, I don't care who sends it. :D

Pete

i bet its just not seated properly...i bet you a "virtual beer".

GtrGeorge! said:
i bet its just not seated properly...i bet you a "virtual beer".

It was pushed all the way in with both thumbscrews totally screwed in on multiple attempts. Also, the contact points are all covered in solder. I don't know if this is a standard part of the mod or not. This is the first modded module I've seen. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the way things worked out and my Ultra XL more than satisfies me.