PLEXI and PLATINUM 59RR ARRIVED TODAY

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kudogg

Reaction score
I am blown away by these modules and Randalls RM100 in general.

I owned a plexi once, actually I owned 2 at the same time. Then I got a JCM 800 2203, had some JCM900's, and now I have a full stack Marshall 6100 Limited Edition 30th anniversary. I consider myself a "marshall" guy, having sold multiple mesas, carvins, fenders (kept my prosonic in seafoam green), riveras... none of them did it for me.

I played guitar for 22 years...wow I'm getting old. Play solid wood guitars, I like mahogany/maple bodies like les pauls, jackson archtop soloist pro, vintage japanese invasion guitars...

Back to the Randall amp ... I am most impressed by the general authenticness of the modules. I was expecting something much MUCH less. Like an old Digitech 2101, or a Rocktron Prophesy...trying...attempting to be a Marshall. But Randall has done an amazing job. I mean AMAZING.

I A/B with my 6100 and the tones are nearly identical. The Randall just has more general flexibility and versatility. I have never played an amp that led me to think..."I can sell my 6100". I always have one... but today I was thinking..."why?"

I am even more surprised that I favor the stock Plexi over the Platinum. It is more open/airy sounding than the Platinum 59RR. The Platinum sounds great, and is more versatile, and sounds EXCELLENT, but it does sound compressed, which to me, is the antithesis of PLEXI tone. The Plexi was open, clear, the sky... the Platinum isn't bad, but it is definitely more compressed.

Even in the JMP mode, it cannot compare with the openness of the stock Plexi.

Anyways, I'm sure people will now post I am an idiot, but it's just my ears. I intend to keep both for now, as the Platinum can do so much it's really amazing...But the stock plexi definitely has earned it's keep in my amp repetoire.

Anyways..... these modules are just f'n amazing. I need to get a better clean module, the KH1 is too one dimensional and cold for me. And I definitely have to get my hands on a tweed module (probably not stock from reading the reviews here)

actually.... I spoke too soon.... it depends which guitar I play. With my lp, the Plexi sounds more open, but then with my Lotus (it's a washburn wing knockoff ...allegedly made by daion) sounds more open with the Platinum...

Kudogg said:
I'm sure people will now post I am an idiot, but it's just my ears.

OK... You're stupid, but just your ears.. :D
That's the great thing about these modules, and honestly, the members here. Nobody really faults people for how they perceive the sounds. And if a module is not for you, it can be sold/traded easily to try something else. I love my 59RR and it's here to stay. And it's next to my 1086 that's staying as well. Some here flip modules like hotcakes. Join the party.. lol

Nobody really faults people for how they perceive the sounds

well.. MikeP sometimes does but I like to think that is just for fun...

:roll:

Let your ears decide.. then try the amp in different rooms. I thought my LB100 had too much bass and not enough treble till I moved it down to my home studio where i have bass trapping in the corners. Now it sits just right. Like you, I have tried some modded modules and I always come back to my own modded module and the standard brahma. I even have a Friedman Brahma which to my ears sounds good, but not as good as Randall's stock brahma. That said, my lightly modded 1982 JCM800 now beats the Randall by a hair. Has more hard grind to it. Really does give me that old VH feel with the right humbucker.

I have 12 modules and one of them is the stock plexi. I may get the 59RR at some point, but ill not use the stock plexi as the donor as I like it too much. I may talk to Rob about his base mod for it. I had him do the base mod on my tweed and it is still the tweed but more so. If he can do that on the Plexi, I am on it. I am not one of those who swaps modules. It seems to me that swapping modules would be like taking spices out of my spice rack in the kitchen. Even though I don't use fennel very often, it frustrates me to need it and then get into my spice rack and have it not be there. I am having Trace do his twin mod on my donor as he has assured me that it will be like the blackface, only better. I never liked the blackface as much as the plexi anyway, so there is nothing to lose.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again,

the stock Plexi is a damned good module. IMHO, it doesnt need to be modded.

GtrGeorge

PS: that was funny..that thing about mike........te he he.

Duncan Pickups & Boost Pedal turns the JF 59' RR into a monster
plexi/Jcm800

IMHO of course 8)

The JF Plexi is a great module, I flipped mine too fast :oops:
In fact, I somehow went from owning lots of Marshally mods to flipping off most of them in a flipspree

As for the Mike comment, that's a bit of a cheap shot out of nowhere. I'd prefer Mike to keep his energies on his music and providing insight into helping others achieve better sounds- which he is very effective at.

As for the Mike comment, that's a bit of a cheap shot out of nowhere. I'd prefer Mike to keep his energies on his music and providing insight into helping others achieve better sounds- which he is very effective at.

ZZZZZZ MikeP dishes it out and doesn't even pretend he's joking... I'm sure he doesn't see my words as a cheap shot or care for that matter. I'm sure i will still be as def and uninformed as I always was when he checks back in ! :lol:

Mike seems like a cool cat, even if he has an opinion and shares it.

Kudogg - your insane, although not necessarily because you prefer the stock Plexi over the Plat '59. Welcome to the addiction. Take a number at the front door. Likely you will find no cure. :lol: Besides who can fault a guy for liking LPs and Jacksons. :D

When I 1st got into this "mess", I went through a few mods right away. SL+, Scary, KH1, Tweed to start. Traded KH1 for Clean. Traded the Tweed for a Plexi. Traded the Clean for a silver plate SL+ (really should have kept SL+). Got a Grail from Fig. Sold silver plate SL+ to help fund 1086. Sold Plexi. Sold 1086 & Grail to help fund the GTO. Purchased a Brown & Brahma. SL+ became JF-SLOD100, Brown became JF-'59RR. Sold Scary for something... wish I could remember, probably to help fund the '59RR mod. GTO is at JF now. For awhile I was sitting on 5 or 6 modules. Currently down to 4 (those in the sig). I'll see what the future holds, but I like the idea of having an RM22 and either another RM4 or E2 (when & if) & modules to fill it all. :D

Im selling my **** like a crackwhore..... And just bought jf tweed from ameer....i cannot wait.

Super clean after that ... Building the ultimate amp!

One complaint: would like a prettier faceplate.... Just want standrd marshall brushed gold

Kudogg said:
One complaint: would like a prettier faceplate.... Just want standrd marshall brushed gold

Brushed gold faceplate is available on Salvation's Mashall + module:

mashall_1_.jpg

You could check to see if Scott (Sacred Groove ) is doing plates again. Otherwise Rob (JF) could maybe hook you up, especially if you are getting a mod from him.