Plexi module questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbause

Reaction score
How much does the Plexi mod clean up?

I love love my blackface for cleans, but I'd like to maybe replace it with a module that is very responsive to guitar volume. (since I don't use cleans very often)
Where I can go full volume for mid gain crunch tones and back off the volume for my cleans tones.
I think plexi would reach this in theory, any other mods that would do this job well?

This would be paired with my gigmod 1086.

TBH a Brahma might do better int hat department. The Plexi has quite a bit of gain from the clips I've heard; almost as much as an SL+!

I have a couple Plexi samples on my SoundClick page. It won't do 100% clean sound but you can get a good clean-ish sound from it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=652578

Those Plexi clips have a real good tone to them. Was that module that was used stock? What were the settings that you used?

Hmm

Well what module do you guys think would be a good module to do what I'm wanting then?

Cleans - rolled off guitar volume
Low/Mid Gain Crunch - full guitar volume

And maybe I'll even boost it sometimes for even more.
My 1086 will still be used for my high gain and solo tones.

Hmmm, judging by your description I'd say it's somewhere between the JTM and Plexi. I LOVE both modules. The JTM has much less gain than the Plexi, but still has some good crunch to it. Just not really "hard rock" Close to an AC/DC type tone.

The Plexi can actually get pretty heavy. I recorded with it a few times and was very impressed with the results. Rolling back the guitar volume cleans it up well. Very punchy module.

That's a hard call, since both have a very Marshally vibe. The Plexi would probably win due to the fact that it has a bit more sustain and gain, but since AC/DC has a fairly "clean" tone you don't need much gain.

Maybe the JTM would be better suited for rhythm tones.

Plexi=Angus
JTM=Malcolm

I'll plug into both of them when I get home and crank some Hells Bells, then get back to ya' on that one :D

Hells Bells- Hell Yeah! I'm curious what you come up with. I'm new to the Randall module world and am looking for that right module that can do the AC/DC, Zep, old Aerosmith, 70's era hard rock kinda thing. I thought the Plexi was going to fit that bill but now I'm not sure. Let me know what you think.

I had the JTM and it just wasn't full enough sound for me, it had kind of a thin tinny vibe that I just couldn't dial out with my set up.

So thats definitely out.

Just the clips I heard of the JTM turned me off.
The "Marshall" sound is great in the studio because you can EQ things after you record. On stage? Tinny, brittle, weak....not full sounding. (I'm not talking about the Randall Plexi and SL+)

I'm having my Blackface Gigmodded right now... kinda for the same reason, but I wanted more lows. (and maybe a tad more gain)
The reason is, my Plexi and SL+ modules had more lows than the BF (comparatively). A true tubed Fender would beat most Marshalls in full range sound.
I just picked up a modded Deluxe module (used from Ebay). It kicks butt, and puts the stock BF to shame.
This might also be your forte.

I've noticed one major phenomenon since finding this forum....
Any player on here that isn't satisfied with the sound of their modules, hasn't had them modded yet. :lol:

Had a deluxe as well.
It was to mushy with my set up, and besides the kind of crunch that does isn't really what I'm looking for. :(

I tried getting a good clean sound by rolling off the volume of my 2008 stock Gibson SG and Rm 20 with plexi module. The results were a little disappointing. It reminded me of an old Marshall that I owned years ago - the clean stunk and it only sounded good when the volume was past eight.
I wish you could roll off the volume and get that lush Clean/Slightly dirty
Vox sound. A 87 Silver Jubilee Mod would meet your needs, However: I am not sure that mod exists.

Yes I heard those, but I myself had the Plexi and SL+ side by side in my RM4

and the Plexi has no way as much gain available on tap as the SL+

If anything the difference could come from the use of a saturating poweramp (which I don't have)

Nightdare said:
Yes I heard those, but I myself had the Plexi and SL+ side by side in my RM4

and the Plexi has no way as much gain available on tap as the SL+

If anything the difference could come from the use of a saturating poweramp (which I don't have)

I have to agree here...the Plexi dimed is about the same as the SL+ at noon.

At gigs the brahma is my go to if I need to do clean parts like the beginning of "unchain the night". Brahma has a tad less gain than the plexi as well as improved clarity so if you can get a hold of one I say go for it. It works best if you use single coils or humbuckers under 10k.