Popping then sound went out

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguy1010

Reaction score
Hello all,

Fired up the RM100 and began playing away as normal, then heard a few loud pops and a crackling sound as my sound dropped by about 1/2. Another pop and crackle. Switched the amp back to "standby" and looked at the tubes. All were glowing brightly still. Hit "play" again and this time, no sound, just cracking. Unplugged the guitar cord from the RM100 and it was still cracking. Turned the amp off, waited a few min, turned it back on, and now its fine....

Any ideas of what would have caused this? Tubes getting ready to die? :?:

Check the individual fuses for the tubes first.

then I'd check the fuses under the midi board, you have to take apart the head to get to them, but they seem to be the most common internal fuses to go.

Mine went twice, both times it sounded basically like what you're talking about.

drummerguy1010 said:
any ideas of what would have caused this? Tubes getting ready to die? :?:

make sure your tubes are seated properly, remove them and reinsert them. Am going to bet that you'll most likely see this happen again unless you stumble across the cause. These types of circuits don't have "bad" days and not work for no reason. <double negative noted>

Hopefully the problem is as good as needing new tubes. If its been a while since you've replaced them...you'll be pleasantly suprised at how well the new tubes sound.

Thanks guys,

I've owned this amp for about a year now and haven't replaced the tubes at all, but have been following the boards looking for the best recommendations, sound clips, etc. Plan to soon though. :)

Thanks again