possible to order the main circuit board for a randall rm100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaGoo

Reaction score
is it possible to call randall and get them to sell you a board for a rm100?

i know a particular user on here that got some boards, but maybe this was just a special case?

i called today and the guy said he didnt know of any way to do this and that to his knowledge they just didnt sell parts. and it was quite obvious he wanted to get off the phone because i called 10 minutes till closing time.

eddie

MegaGoo said:
is it possible to call randall and get them to sell you a board for a rm100?

i know a particular user on here that got some boards, but maybe this was just a special case?

i called today and the guy said he didnt know of any way to do this and that to his knowledge they just didnt sell parts. and it was quite obvious he wanted to get off the phone because i called 10 minutes till closing time.

eddie

Talk to Steve. If anyone can help you, it will be him.

I think so, but due to what it is you'll probably have to send the old one in for an exchange before they send you the new one.

well i just talked to someone at randall who said

I have spoken with the director of Electronic Production, who has been in charge of amp production since 1998, there was never an upgraded board.

I do not have boards available for external sale, unfortunately.

conflicting information but it is what it is!

Like I said, you'd probably have to send the old board in first. It's something like an amp tech would do.

MegaGoo said:
well i just talked to someone at randall who said

I have spoken with the director of Electronic Production, who has been in charge of amp production since 1998, there was never an upgraded board.

I do not have boards available for external sale, unfortunately.

conflicting information but it is what it is!

Is there something that you believe was changed or upgraded? Is that why you want a new board? Or are you just looking for one to mod?

Julia said:
Like I said, you'd probably have to send the old board in first. It's something like an amp tech would do.

yea i know. but that wasnt the case in the 1 specific situation i know of.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=58115&highlight=#58115

the original RM100A boards that came with the two heads were from an older revision. I purchased two new updated boards from Randall and haven't had an arc to date (knock wood) I'm happy now. Very Happy

randall says there was no revision. blah

im looking at buying an rm100 with known problems due to the alleged known pcb problem with the traces being too close together which causes arcing in some cases if the factors are there. wanted a newer board which was supposedly modified slightly to alleviate this.

I wonder what the fix was though...did they just add a big, thick wire between those same two points to give the current another path to flow or did they actually modify the PCB???

i'm not going to get any more into it because it seems like there is a reason that i amgetting conflicting info from randall. it should be noted that one side of the story is being told by someone who is not affiliated with the company, but heard it from high up at randall

MegaGoo said:
i'm not going to get any more into it because it seems like there is a reason that i amgetting conflicting info from randall. it should be noted that one side of the story is being told by someone who is not affiliated with the company, but heard it from high up at randall

I doubt there are any conspiracies here. Maybe its just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Or maybe your source is wrong. I just find it hard to believe there is some kind of cover up going on. Randall has taken good care of me so far.

Aaronharmon said:
MegaGoo said:

I doubt there are any conspiracies here. Maybe its just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Or maybe your source is wrong. I just find it hard to believe there is some kind of cover up going on. Randall has taken good care of me so far.

yea. not a big deal. doesnt matter. it is what it is. <insert more cliches here>.

coverup, misinformation, lies, it doesnt matter. i hear randall has good customer service. because i cant get an internal part i'm not gonna be upset.

Hmmm... no revision to the circuit. Well maybe there was no revision to the circuit design? It's all interpretation. You can widen the distance between tracings on a board without revising the circuit path. Hence technically no modification. Just a spec change in the board.

Like I said, if you take it to an authorized Randall repair shop, they'll be able to get a new board for you and install it.

But honestly, if you're thinking of buying an amp with known problems you're asking for trouble. Personally, guitar amps are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't want a used amp with known problems.

Think about the ethical problem I was having with the turd of a Marshall JVM I had --- it was a lemon. If Marshall USA wouldn't take it back I'd have to sell it at a fire sale price. I'd legally have to disclose that it didn't work right. Something was wrong with it but we couldn't put our fingers on it. So really it needed a new PCB, but no one could really point to the PCB as the source of the problem since it was intermittent. So would you buy an amp with this sort of problem (end result was blowing tubes every three weeks or sooner)? Would you spend more than $500 on that $2200 amp? No. Fortunately I got out of the amp and Marshall gave a warranty exchange to the store and I got the Lynch Box.

Personally if I were you, I'd look at a different RM100.

well if i bought it, i could send it in and they'd fix it for 90 bucks under most cases, according to tech support. when i asked what the other "1 out of 10" cases where it was more than 90 bucks, i didnt get a clear answer.

i would hope that in a worse case scenerio, randall could swap the pcb and charge me no more than 200 bucks. so thats 200 bucks to fix a problem that may or may not even happen. if i get the head at a great deal, that would make it worth while. i would just be screwed only if randall threw their hands up and couldnt do anything with it, which i would hope would not be possible

as far as the revision business goes, i got an email and theyre looking into it. as i said, if i cant get a pcb then whatever not a big deal. just want clarity on if its possible

perhaps they did like you said and just widened the traces without revising the board. personally wouldnt make sense. if i'm writing a computer program and i change anything that changed the program, even 1 character, i would give it a new version #.

eddie

Julia said:
Hmmm... no revision to the circuit. Well maybe there was no revision to the circuit design? It's all interpretation. You can widen the distance between tracings on a board without revising the circuit path. Hence technically no modification. Just a spec change in the board.

Like I said, if you take it to an authorized Randall repair shop, they'll be able to get a new board for you and install it.

But honestly, if you're thinking of buying an amp with known problems you're asking for trouble. Personally, guitar amps are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't want a used amp with known problems.

Think about the ethical problem I was having with the turd of a Marshall JVM I had --- it was a lemon. If Marshall USA wouldn't take it back I'd have to sell it at a fire sale price. I'd legally have to disclose that it didn't work right. Something was wrong with it but we couldn't put our fingers on it. So really it needed a new PCB, but no one could really point to the PCB as the source of the problem since it was intermittent. So would you buy an amp with this sort of problem (end result was blowing tubes every three weeks or sooner)? Would you spend more than $500 on that $2200 amp? No. Fortunately I got out of the amp and Marshall gave a warranty exchange to the store and I got the Lynch Box.

Personally if I were you, I'd look at a different RM100.