Power Amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Power Amp Option

• Mesa 50/50 deep mod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mesa 2:90

• Randall RT2 50

• Total voters

harsh

Reaction score
Need some opinions here guys. I use a Mesa 50/50 as my power section. Great amp, but IMHO, it lacks low end. It could do with more of a thump. I asked a reputable amp tech here, and he can do a nice deep mod, with a toggle switch to choose from a couple of bass caps. I'm guessing this would be similar to the standard "Deep / Modern" option in a Mesa 2:90. My options are:

1. Deep mod to the 50/50. Cost: 50 British Pounds
2. Used Mesa 2:90: Cost: 750 British Pounds
3. Used Randall RT2 50: Cost: 750 British Pounds.

I'm coming to the US in a month for my annual gear stock-up trip :D, so I could buy a used RT2 50 from one of you guys there. Can someone with experience of these amps please give me some advice as to whats best to use with an RM4 for high gain Recto based tones?

buriedorburned said:
none of the above, get a VHT power amp, they wipe the floor with all the above.

The VHT power amps clearly are the bomb but there are a good # of people who've sold VHTs to go with the flexibility (and sound) of the RT2/50.....there seems to be couple hundred$ price gap on the used market in favour of the Randall too.

******, I knew someone was going to start mentioning amps that I didnt list. The VHT is VERY rare in the UK (you should know that, you're from here :) ). Also, its way too expensive.

What makes it better than the amps I've listed?

Do a search in the Egnater forum on RigTalk...plenty of people got experience with VHT2/50 2/90 etc. and compared with RT2/50 and probably some others...

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Cheers Steve. Been surfing opinions and people seem to mostly vote for the RT2/50 and the VHT 2/90/2. The VHT is really expensive, though.

I think I'll move to one of these, depending on whether I find a deal on one or the other.

Ah, I ment get the VHT coz you're going to the states soon, don't waste your money here, they're all top ?, and not worth it.

I think the RT2/50 has a 220v option so I can just plug and play in the UK. Do you know if VHT has this? If not, I probably wouldnt buy it from the US. I'm not too keen on using step down transformers in my rig.

Gotta say, the RT2/50 is looking like my 1st choice so far. Like JKD was saying, there seem to be guys who've left VHT for the RT2/50 and are loving it.

I'd say get your power amp modded for 50 pounds.

If you've heard the deep mod on that amp and like it do the mod. Figure out what else you need, and get that.

guitarcomet said:
Just out of curiosity...

What does NOT cost more in the UK vs. the USA?

Healthcare is about the only thing I can think of....it's about on par when you consider taxes vs. US premiums but if you actually have anything wrong with you, costs in the US quickly escalate....

oh, to be sort-of on topic....Marshall amps? :lol:

I run my Egnater M4 single through both my CLX(EL-34's) power section as well as my 2/90/2(6550's). Both sound AMAZING!!! :twisted:

Both power sections are very tight, articulate, and super quite. Some times I love the clean headroom of the KT-88/6550's, and also the crunch of the EL-34's. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for. :)

I've never played the 2/50/2, but I'm sure sounds similar the the power section of my CLX.

VHT all the way.

Brian(alaskaehlers)