Poweramp Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunge782

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a new poweramp like the randall, vht or mesa 50:50. I'm not looking for anything superloud. Right now I'm using a carvin ts100 which is good but I'm wondering if a new poweramp will make a big difference in my sound.

The thing is I'm going to have very diverse modules in my M4 so I want the modules to dictate most of the tone. I heard that the TS100 stays out of the way in terms of coloring the tone so I'm not sure If i should switch or not. Suggestions? :eek:

the randall power amp has the option to use 6L6 or EL34 at the same time !! you can match the pre-amp to the power section and contrall via midi !! pretty cool design

the randall power amp has the option to use 6L6 or EL34 at the same time !! you can match the pre-amp to the power section and contrall via midi !! pretty cool design

Then why'd you choose a vht for your poweramp?

grunge782 said:

Then why'd you choose a vht for your poweramp?

because the VHT 2502 is the best one trick pony in the world !!!! i'm interested in EL34 tone and the VHT is the best at it...

i answered your question because i know a few things about the Randall MTS gear ... i have heard great reviews about the RT 2/50 and i could have easily gone with it ... but i was offered my VHT on deal i could'nt resist and i love the feel that amp dish's out !!!!
cheers

The RT2/50 is an extremely versatile amp. I love the ability to switch between 6L6 and EL34 (or practically any other tube type) on the fly. Also, you can set it up to switch channels into one cab or run each channel, switching or stereo, into separate cabs.

I've never had the opportunity to A/B the RT2/50 to a VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2, so I don't know how they compare. (Anyone done the Pepsi challenge and care to comment?) From what I've heard the VHT amps are tighter with more of a focused sound. If you only need one power tube type, VHT's will probably do it better than the RT2/50. That being said, I'm more than pleased with the sound from my RT2/50 and do not hesitate to recommend it.

Oh yeah, I've also been dying to try some kt88's. Whats your guys personal take on them? Also is the vht 2/90 the only poweramp that can use them?

I have 2 RT2/50's ,RM100 and Mod50 they all sound excellent. here is a post from eric on rig talk.

The E34L's are definitely staying in my RT2/50. Love both the TS5881s / 6550s w/ the E34Ls. With the 6550s it adds a bit more headroom, but still punchy as hell. With the TS5881s it has a bit more rawness around the edges. Definitely love having the RT2/50. I have to say...I like it better than the VHT 2/50/2 and 2/90/2. My VHT is definitely going up for sale. The RT2/50 is the best power section I've played to date.

Love the Mod50 power section too. They are just different. Great in how they compliment each other for sure.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48641

almost all the way down. PM him and ask him more if you want.

grunge782 said:
Oh yeah, I've also been dying to try some kt88's. Whats your guys personal take on them? Also is the vht 2/90 the only poweramp that can use them?

I have KT88's gold lions in my RT2/50. Im not overly happy with them and might replace them. I have KT77's and jjE34L's in my RM100 and GT6l6 in my mod 50 and EL34's/EL34's in one RT2/50 and 6L6/KT88's in the other.