Preamp Tubes??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julia said:
[smart-assed remark] Hey I've got an idea. You seem bent on spending extra money. Just grab the tubes you want, and send the extra to me. :D [/smart-assed remark]

The Gear Page (aka rich people who can afford real $75K Dumbles) on Cryo tubes

Bottom line: waste of money. You can buy NOS tubes for those prices.

MAYBE you can tell in high end tube audio gear, but in a guitar amp that you're going to be running with distortion? I don't think so. And as is stated, the cryo treatment may weaken the structure inside the tube.

You don't know if the tubes will actually last longer because the tube may have lasted the same length of time without the cryo treatment. Maybe even longer. Maybe that was just a good batch of tubes.

NOS preamp tubes (the real deal from places like http://www.kcanostubes.com ) should last about 10 yrs for preamp tubes and about 2 to 3 yrs for power tubes, but I wouldn't spend my money on the power tubes because you could end up with a bad set anyway. It's a crap shoot with electronics.
thanks. i have been looking into it and it does look like a waste of money. especially if it is only a few dollars more on cryoset.com while Black Sable tubes for for WAY more on the tubedepot.com. I'll stick with my original plan and get the tubes from thetubedepot or dougstubes.

KillTone said:
I can't speak from personal experience with cryo treating tubes, but I have bought some NOS tubes from a local high end stereo shop and the owner swears by the cryo treated tubes.

He said they sound better, are less microphonic and last longer. He sends all of his personal NOS tubes in for the cryo treatment.
I have actually A/B tested non-cryos vs. cryos and the cryos did have an improved sound-stage, as promised. Certainly not a waste of money if tone is a matter for you.

Lots of scepsisism amongst those grayhaired they-don't-make-'em-like-they-used-to fellows that still think we're living in the '50s or '60s. Cryo won't however make a bad valve good at the touch of a wand. Like aging of wine it can only improve on what's already there.

Not pushing for any stockist in particular but I'm very satisfied with the job Ron at Cryoset does and he's my main supplier of valves - and my home is in Europe, mind!

Alright. For the Shuguang, Doug recommended these to me:

"Penta Labs 7025F, Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, Penta labs 12AX7, Penta Labs 12AX7M mullard reissue"

Which one should i go with for my 1087??

Would the Mullard 12AT7 go good in my Blackface? So i would have a JAN 5751 and a Mullard 12AT7 in it. Is this a good combination, or would the JAN and Tung-Sol 12AX7 be better?

Thanks, John.

for hi-gain modules from only new tubes (not NOS):
1. Ei (Yugoslavia)
this is replica of telefunken tubes
2. Mesa Russian-1 (Russia)
3. Tung-Sol (Russia)
4. Electro-harmonix (Russia)
5. Shuguang (China)
6. JJ (Slovakia)
but this range variable from module to module

I thought the Ei stopped production? Great sounding tube but variable and prone to microphonics.

Latest posts