Putting tubes to the test +++

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Hi guys...Just acquired my last RM100 at a great price...Such a great price that I have some left over scratch to go a little crazy on tubes...I don't expect any miracles but hope the following combo is nice...

Amp V1 : Gold Lion 12AX7
Loop: Tung Sol ECC803 Gold Pin (High Gain)
PI: Electro Harmonix Gold Pin 5751 (matched and balanced...lol...why not??)

Power Tubes:
Two Gold Lion KT77s
Two Gold Lion KT88s

BTW, there are some really good prices on the Gold Lions on the bay...I made an offer on both of the above power tubes and got them for less than online vendors)

Any guesses on results?

Mine is that there will be a subtle to mild improvement and I will blow it out of proportion... :lol: I took some truth serum earlier tonight...

Cool! I just retubed a MOD50 today.

=C= EL34 power tubes
V1: Ruby HG+ (one of favorite preamp tubes)
PI: Sovtek LPS
Loop: Tung Sol (going to try another Ruby and jump the loop tomorrow)

As thought, it is awesome. Pretty much a Marshall module setup, but that's what it's for. Getting some girthy Green Day-ish tones from my SG MK22 (boost switch engaged in modern mode) on the 2203 channel. Sorry for the thread derailment. :wink:

Interested in your exaggerated results. :lol:

drewiv said:
Cool! I just retubed a MOD50 today.

=C= EL34 power tubes
V1: Ruby HG+ (one of favorite preamp tubes)
PI: Sovtek LPS
Loop: Tung Sol (going to try another Ruby and jump the loop tomorrow)

As thought, it is awesome. Pretty much a Marshall module setup, but that's what it's for. Getting some girthy Green Day-ish tones from my SG MK22 (boost switch engaged in modern mode) on the 2203 channel. Sorry for the thread derailment. :wink:

Interested in your exaggerated results. :lol:

Nice! If you jumper the loop and find the Tung Sol adds to much harsh top end, try an EH...Those are nice there...

I second your call on the =C= tubes...Both EL34 and 6L6 are great...

So what are the green day mods you're going with????

I'm partial to =C=. Good tone and last a long time as well.

I have a couple EH Gold, I'll try that out. I left the Tung Sol in because I don't use the loop. I may send it to Rob to get the loop fixed to play nice with pedals. I'm finding the high gain modules would really benefit from a Decimator pedal.

Sent a PM on the modules, I don't want to steal Rob's thunder. :wink:

You guys (Drew & Matt) seem to be tube gurus around here, my opinion. What Power Tubes would you guys suggest for these group of modules, Benzin(herbert tuned), Angel and a voxyface... GO!!! :idea:

I'm not a tube guru, at all. I generally go for good tone and long life (dependability). Lots of guys around here mess more with NOS preamps tubes. I definitely like =C= power tubes which may be tube snobbish. On the other side; a good set of Ruby, Tung Sol or Mullard does the trick. I tend to stay away from JJ, they seem dark for my taste, but have their place.

What amp are you running those modules in, RM100?

stemlife said:
You guys (Drew & Matt) seem to be tube gurus around here, my opinion. What Power Tubes would you guys suggest for these group of modules, Benzin(herbert tuned), Angel and a voxyface... GO!!! :idea:

:lol: An applied love of pricey tubes does not a guru make... :lol:

If you want my opinion, if it's an RM100 you are lucky....Blend some big and small glass...If you want to spend a bit - I prefer Gold Lions and would say KT77s and KT88s to give you the full range of each module...

If it's an RM50 or you want to stick with one type of tube, I'd say EH6CA7...It's a great middle of the road EL34/6L6 type with the best of both...Also a great price...For all around utility, these are my go to power tubes...They sound appropriate with each module to my ear...

BTW, Drew's =C= suggestion is also a winner and, while I share his opinion of JJ tubes sounding dark, for me the power tubes sound ok (their KT77s are good though)...The preamp tubes are dark...JJ power tubes are cheap and usually reliable...I don't like them but I see many people using them and sounding great so it's just my personal taste...

OK, after playing the rig a few times over the past few days...I just have a hard time dealing with all the headroom of big glass...I LOVE the KT77s but the KT88s just don't compress like I dig...

Having said that, the Gold Lions make me want to get them exclusively (in a perfect world)....They sound fantastic...

I will be selling the Gold Lion KT88s soon for 80/shipped...They have about a two hours on them and I paid almost a hundred with shipping and THAT was a deal...

If anyone reading this thread wants a shot at them first, feel free to shoot me a PM....

Edited to add: I have gone on another tube frenzy...I love the EH6CA7s but the Gold Lion KT77s are already very present and pretty deep...In the end, the =C= 6L6s win again...

I tried several brands and varieties of tubes and usually end up in the same place. I guess that's just what I like...Others SWEAR by their 6550s and KT88s so everyone hears and plays different stuff...It's just pretty damned cool that the MTS stuff let's the user easily try all the various combos...

drewiv said:
I'm not a tube guru, at all. I generally go for good tone and long life (dependability). Lots of guys around here mess more with NOS preamps tubes. I definitely like =C= power tubes which may be tube snobbish. On the other side; a good set of Ruby, Tung Sol or Mullard does the trick. I tend to stay away from JJ, they seem dark for my taste, but have their place.

What amp are you running those modules in, RM100?

Yes Drew. I will be running these modules in a RM100 that was modded for the duallies. Do the pre amp tubes in the amp make a difference? And what about the pre amp tubes in the module? What would you guys suggest for pre amp tubes? Thanks fellas, I appreciate the responses.

V1 of the module is probably the most important preamp tube (left tube if looking at the module from the face). My favorite in V1 is a Ruby HG+ for high gain modules), but it is all personal preference. I find the Ruby to just be a nice high quality tube for $20. Jeff Hilligan has a nice rundown of the preamp tubes in the amp section and how they react. If I can find the thread I'll post it for you.

As far as power tubes in the 100W amps, I like Fig's suggestion. I almost always run two pairs of tubes as opposed to a quad. I almost always have a pair of EL34 and usually KT88 as the other. Play around with what you have and feel out the difference without spending loads of cash on tubes.

Here is a thread Hilly responded to about the MOD50, but it should apply similarly to most MTS heads.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24679

drewiv said:
Here is a thread Hilly responded to about the MOD50, but it should apply similarly to most MTS heads.

Thanks Drew! Reading it now!

stemlife said:
drewiv said:

Thanks Drew! Reading it now!

Cool. In case you're not familiar with Jeff, he is an authority on the amps. He was Bruce's right-hand-man at Egnater for awhile. So, he's not a random idiot (like me) giving advice and opinions. 8)

Latest posts