Questions about running RM100LB on two/one tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowardm

Reaction score
From what I understand, the the Lynch Box you can take out two of the EL34Ls and run it at 50W. Which two tubes do I need to take out?

Also, is it possible to run it on just one EL34L (or any tube at all) at 25W or do they have to be in pairs?

Run in pairs only (it's a push-pull circuit I think, meaning half the time one tube is conducting, half the time the other..)

I usually remove the outside pair of power tubes --> 1 2 3 4 i.e. tubes 1 and 4 but in theory there's no reason you can't remove 2 and 3.

I'm told that you don't need to unplug the tube, just remove it's fuse but I'vef never tried that...whatever you do, make sure the amp is off when you do and the tubes are cool (if pulling)

When doing this, you should set the amp ohm switch to half what the load is.

i.e. 16Ohm cab set amp to 8Ohms, an 8Ohm cab, set amp to 4Ohms....do not run a 4 Ohm Load (there's no 2Ohm setting)

If you want like 28W you can use a pair of JJ 6v6 in it, but I think you bias around 16 mV for them. For 6v6 you can only use JJs in this amp.

If you're trying to get the amp quieter the difference between 50 and 100 watts isn't that much in volume. 25W isn't even half as loud. Heck a 5W tube amp is loud.

If you want to be able to practice at bedroom levels or play it when the kids are asleep, and just want to give the master volume more play (so you can open it beyond cracked open), you can buy a THD Hot Plate. These run around $300. You still deal with issues around loudness-contour curves with your guitar speakers -- basically they will sound like **** unless you also buy an equalizer to put into the effects loop -- you'll need a rack mount for this too.

My suggestion is to go to GC and pick up a new POD HD -- and they made this version capable of line level which means the HD400 can be used via 4 cable method with your LB when you're gigging and you'll have a backup -- and a powered FRFR monitor or two and use the POD and the monitor at low volume. Amp modeling isn't affected by low volume like a tube amp. Or play the POD with headphones. I've played it. It is every bit as touch sensitive as a tube amp. Don't listen to the Line 6 haters.

Thanks for the replies.

The idea isn't to actually get quieter. I figured with less headroom it would probably sound better at the lower volumes I tend to play it on. Sort of make it more manageable.

I've played the Line6 stuff and I'm simply still not convinced. For all I know it's psychological, but I just don't like digital amps.

Once I sell this amp I'm saving up and probably going boutique. When I played the Victoria Regal II I basically fell in love. I'm not saying it's the amp I'm going to get (low headroom) but it told me that there's something to these high end amps. Just like I researched my Tele, I'm going to be playing a lot of amps before I buy.