Randall Clean Mods needed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collecter

Reaction score
I have the clean mod and love it but it starts to break up a about 3 on the gain setting. How do I make it a true clean setting.I have to turn the tones back as well as the gain. When I add the bass back it starts to add gain.Does any one have any mods or recomendations for another mod to give me a true clean.

I have a KH1. I run the gain around 10:00. It'll breakup with my Duncan Blackouts. Stay bone clean with my strat. Stay fairly clean with my medium output humbuckers. It's worse at louder volume well, because for one I'm playing through speakers that breakup with the amp master at 10:00. I am running a UK Mullard and a Telefunken 12AX7 in this one, though.

I also run a rack mount compressor in the loop, and that gives me a post module volume boost on the clean channel. The dbx 166xl also has a limiter so I don't clip my effects processor. And has an "over easy" setting so that the compression is very hidden. Really helps out to even the volume levels between channels.

If I need it cleaner than that I'll roll back the volume on my guitar.

You might want to try a pair of 12AT7s in the module. Or a pair of NOS 5751s in it.

You may also have an older Clean with has some nasty issues with the resistors in it. Check out the stickied posts on this forum.

I want that Stealth you've got there :D

hey i got my clean module modded by rob at jf, and i asked for a solid state clean sound no break up and no twang. and he said he can make it happen with a clean module and so i sent it, and sure enough it came back cleaner.... some delay and reverb and a sprinkle or chorus and it sounds real nice.

collecter said:
I have the clean mod and love it but it starts to break up a about 3 on the gain setting. How do I make it a true clean setting.I have to turn the tones back as well as the gain. When I add the bass back it starts to add gain.Does any one have any mods or recomendations for another mod to give me a true clean.

The easiest mod is replace both tubes with 12au7s. You'll be able to get the gain knob up between 6 and 7. I did that when I had a Clean and it worked great.

bansheeburner said:
hey i got my clean module modded by rob at jf, and i asked for a solid state clean sound no break up and no twang. and he said he can make it happen with a clean module and so i sent it, and sure enough it came back cleaner.... some delay and reverb and a sprinkle or chorus and it sounds real nice.

Sorry it took so long to get back to a topic I started lol, how do I get in touch with this guy and how much did it cost? Any idea what he did exactly? I checked and mine is a newer module so that mod won't work.

Check out this link, bro: http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html
It has some simple mods you can do yourself to get the clean modules sounding better and keep from distorting as quickly.
Rob@ Jadedfaithmod has a Holiday special going on right now.
His mods start at $100 and the special is one of the extra options for free. I think that is like another $25 value. You will want to contact him about that for exact details.
Pretty cool. I would check out the pricing section, look around the site, and shoot him and e-mail.
He is at http://jadedfaithmods.com/
You might also want to try rolling the volume knob on your guitar back a little bit. Peace.

SacredGroove said:
The easiest mod is replace both tubes with 12au7s. You'll be able to get the gain knob up between 6 and 7. I did that when I had a Clean and it worked great.

This worked great for me although I only put it in V1 of the clean module. 5751s might be another option as well.