Randall Rm100KH wierd sound

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egynd

Reaction score
Hi. i fired up my Randall today , and it had some wierd popping noise... Its new tubes and the y are biased correct..

Can anyone maybe tell me what this is ? its the same sound no matter what the volume is on ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezvwcOB4T34&feature=youtu.be
hope anyone can help me

Two thoughts from that video:

1: Dirty tube sockets. Take each tube out, spray the pins with contact cleaner and work them in and out of their sockets a few times.

2: Is their a cell phone near the amp or your guitar? The sporadic pops sound similar to the sound a cell phone causes.

I`ll try cleaning them ;)

No i tested with the cell, but it was not that :/

Sounds good. Pops are typically a sign of an arc. Although the amp could have an issue internally, if it was good and started after a tube change I'd wager on dirty sockets. Don't hesitate to clean the effects loops with a spray of cleaner on a guitar cable end either.

Good luck!

Yes, arcing or intermittent electrical contact, most likely.

Bad pre-amp valves usually pops, but are often followed by a sparking noise, much like the sound of eggs frying. Could be worth checking out though, since you just re-valved your amp.

I assume cables, wires and potentiometers have been eliminated as probable culprits.

thanks guys for the tips.

yeah cables , pots and the preamptubes have been dismissed as culprits.. i hoooope its only dirty sockets. ill clean everything (fx loop , in out, tubes etc) and check again.
:D

Yeah Mattfig. It happens even when im not touching or playing it. had a busy day today so i have to check it tomorrow. but i reeeeaally hope it`s no big deal ...

AND It`s alive !!! ;D

it was the new tube .. or two of them that had went south. so i put in some old 5881 that i had lying around here, and the popping is gone.. so what tube should i buy next? i am a 6l6 guy and the new onees was TAD 6l6gc but im thinking maybe Mesa .. I would love to try JJ but not easy to get them in norway :/

egynd said:
AND It`s alive !!! ;D

it was the new tube .. or two of them that had went south. so i put in some old 5881 that i had lying around here, and the popping is gone.. so what tube should i buy next? i am a 6l6 guy and the new onees was TAD 6l6gc but im thinking maybe Mesa .. I would love to try JJ but not easy to get them in norway :/
Excellent to hear. Make sure to clean the sockets and try those tubes in there again though. It's likely there was something in there and the changing to the 5881's cleared it out. They may be fine.

Last I checked, I think the current Mesa 6L6's were JJ, if not they are Sovtek. All Mesa tubes are just rebranded ones.

yeah i cleaned it and the bias went through the roof. i put the new ones in and it still popped , so i cleaned one more time and put in the 5881 after .. no more popping ;)

well then ill guess ill have the 5881 in there for now since they are Sovteks :)

thanks for all the help Rob.. and thank god it wasn`t anything more devestating ;)

Latest posts