Randall RM12

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, looks like it. This site has a link to a photo of the back, where you can see two power tubes and speaker outputs.

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2009/01/namm-2009-randall-rm12-twelve-preamp.html

We have one here. The photos are not a production unit. On the production unit there are 3 knobs on front (density, presence, master). On the back you have serial loop, slave out, speaker outs. Foot pedal is 3 switches (1-4, 5-8, 9-12). No documentation included.

Compared to RM4:
No rear input, no parallel loop and effect knob, input is noisy compared to RM4 when pedals are in front of input (fine in loop)

NOTE - Not currently 19" rack-able. The unit we received is 19.5" inches wide. They are addressing the issue but it may take a while.

My opinion so far is that it was designed as a store demo unit, not a fully versatile pro studio unit (as they are promoting it). Sound is excellent through built-in amp.

I'd like to see rear input and separate power switch for power and preamp sections (to use as preamp only in studio with speaker emulation, no real speaker).

I think they should have just released it without the built in power amp...

In the store display unit it's great, but for a studio it's only unhandy.
In the studio it would be perfect to combine with an RT2/50. ;)

m0jo said:
I think they should have just released it without the built in power amp...

In the store display unit it's great, but for a studio it's only unhandy.
In the studio it would be perfect to combine with an RT2/50. ;)

Agree 100%.

Nightdare said:
Also:

What good is this modular switching approach if you can plunk in all the modules you have

It's still good because you can choose what preamps you want in your amp. You're not wasting a high-gain channel if you play 100% clean or a clean channel if you play 100% metal. You can also build preamp combinations that wouldn't be available in a stock amp.

jgastineau said:
Nightdare said:
Also:

What good is this modular switching approach if you can plunk in all the modules you have

It's still good because you can choose what preamps you want in your amp. You're not wasting a high-gain channel if you play 100% clean or a clean channel if you play 100% metal. You can also build preamp combinations that wouldn't be available in a stock amp.

This plus: There are more than 12 modules and even more modifications. ;)
Also In a studio I might use the same module for two sounds .. but I don't want to lose my settings .. so just 2 of the same set up differently. :)