Randall RM50S Help....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalluk

Reaction score
I've been eyeing up the Randall RM series for a while now. The idea of having a tube amp capable of modular technology and not the other way around intrigues me. So suffice to say, I finally got one. I've been playing guitar and gigging with 3 different bands and a solo project for over 13 years now. This is my third tube amp. The others' I owned were a Peavey Valveking and a Marshall JTM60. Speaking of the JTM60, how does the JTM45 Mod sound? My main rig is either an ESP LTD EC 400 (EMG 81/60) or Ibanez ART300 (Dimarzio Breed/Evolution) into some EFX. I have a couple questions about the Randall....

1. Can the 50 watt 112 combo handle rehearsals and medium sized gigs? Granted, I know I can always and most likely will, mic the amp? What's a good mic that helps bring this amp to life?

2. I'm looking into getting an ext cab possibly 112 or 212. Can the RM50 handle a 212 ext cab or should I just stick with a 112 ext cab? Any suggestions?

3. From the reviews on this amp I read, do I need switch out the tubes or speaker anytime soon?

4. What are some good mods to get? I play more modern rock/alternative stuff in the vein of 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Fuel, Seven Mary Three, Alter Bridge, Live, Collective Soul, basically any 90's grunge/pop rock band.

Right now, I have the Blackface, Clean and Modern mods. I got the Blackface b/c the Clean mod was way to sterile for me. I read a lot of good reviews on the Clean, yet it did nothing for me. Very disappointing. I'm waiting on the Blackface to come in. So, in other words I'm good on the clean setting. Now in terms of distortion/OD...... The modern is nothing great. It's high gain so I can do some nice tricks with it, but I need a smooth, sustain ROCK tone.

I'm looking into either the Recto, XTC or SL+? How about the Plexi, Brown or Ultra mods? What would one recommend for my style. I plan on using it for BOTH lead and rhythm. I have an Ibanez TS9DX tube screamer and a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah for a boost pedal.

5. Possible thrid channel? Since mine is a two channel amp, what can I do to get that precious third channel without having to upgrade my amp? Should I just run a distortion pedal through the clean channel to give me a crunch/sustain for lead? What pedals work really well with this amp? I'm thinking about leaning towards either the JEckyl and Hyde or Pro Co Rat. Do I even need a pedal with this amp?

6. Like I said, I've been eyeing this amp for a while. I'm talking a couple years. I've read numerous reviews and spoke in depth with a friend of mine who uses this amp for his band. What can you tell me about this amp that I haven't already read, experienced or heard?

After playing this amp for a couple days now. I'm stoked. Can't wait for the Blackface mod to come and to get a nice distortion mod. Thanks.

I own an RM50 and have done many gigs with it. I just recently grabbed a 1x12 cab with a V30 in it and I have never been happier with my tone.

So to help with Your Questions.

1. Yes it can handle rehearsals and gigs, I did a lot of gigs with it before I got my extension cab.

2. I would recommend a 1x12 very happy with mine

3. Haven?t yet

4. I use an SL+ for my dirty channel and we play mainly 90's grunge, Alice in chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam ECT.

5. The Rm 50 does have a boost, which is footswitchable I am sure someone has the schematics here to add a volume to a footswitch to make it a bit more refined.

6. Can be a little bassy, takes some tweaking, but once you have it dialed in it is a very nice amp.

Hope that Helps

No problem.

Yeah I use a 1x12 extension cab now. Not for the extra volume but for a bit of a fuller sound. The V30 sounds awsome with the the stock speaker in the combo.

Out of curiosity, could it handle a 412 cab? Not saying I would do this, but it'll look pretty sweet.

Can the XTC handle 90's rock? Where is the boost located? I don't believe mine has that option. I do have a tube screamer however.

Also, what ohm should I set my amp to if I use a 112, 212 or 412 cab or a 4, 8 or 12 ohm speaker?

mwalluk said:
Out of curiosity, could it handle a 412 cab?

I think it would yes.

mwalluk said:
Can the XTC handle 90's rock?

Dont have an xtc... :(

mwalluk said:
Where is the boost located?

Boost is on the back panel you can plug a standard footswitch into it but it will push your master to max. So make sure you have your modules set accordingly or you will mess your pants when you switch it.

mwalluk said:
Also, what ohm should I set my amp to if I use a 112, 212 or 412 cab or a 4, 8 or 12 ohm speaker?

Thats determined by whatever cab you buy. I think they mostly run at 4ohm though I maybe wrong.

Oh alright, so the boost is near the efx loops. Was wondering about that. So I should use a seperate footswitch button entirely for that? How much of a db will it raise?

I love my SL+!! My band does 3 Doors Down, Godsmack, Sabbath, Etc. and the SL+ gives me a great dirty sound and is versatile enough for different genres. I too use the Volume Boost. There is a whole thread somewhere on the Forum about it. Make sure you set your Master Volume at about 2:30 - 3:00 or you will kill small animals in the neighborhood. Oh yea, I use an RM50 Head and I am pretty sure the combo is the same thing and I run it with a 4x12 with V30's - sounds sweet.

Dave

mwalluk said:
Will XTC be able to handle that genre? I picked one up for decently cheap. How about Recto? Might pick that one up as well.

I'd pick a Recto well before an XTC for 90s rock if that's the genre you meant.

The blackface with a 808 based pedal will cover classic rock as will the plexi. the xtc is very mid based and does leads well. I think it has a fuzzface sorta tone to it. The stock 6l6's are bassy but can be dialed out somewhat. Using 6v6's and like them alot. Have not tried el34's yet but the Blackface sounds very good pushed using the 6v6's. I am sure this amp can stand with any band and a 412 cab will make it even bigger.

Latest posts