Randall v Egnator modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuenu

Reaction score
If I get a new RM100M head can I put Randall and/or Egnator modules in it? Do Egnator modules work at their optimum in the RM100M or are they designed to work with Egnator heads?
It seems the Egnator modules are dual channel so you get more options. Are they a lot more expensive? It seems you can get the Randall modules for around USD$200 each. Do the Egnator modules sound better? Where can you buy them online in USA? Any links to sound clips of the Egnator modules out there? Thanks.

Hey man,
I bought my head 2nd hand with a Blackface and Egnater Erect (Old Single channel version). Since then I've purchased 1086, XTC, Brown and Eggie SL++ (Again an old Single channel version). I've sold the 1086 and XTC, but kept the rest. The SL++ is a monster, great high gain Marshall tone, very clear and articulate. Erect is the same, killer tone. Erect with gain on more than 2 o'clock can get a bit muddy, but I normally run on about 10-11 o'clock, nice crunch and definition.
In the past I've heard people describe the tone from Egnater modules is like having Pete or Dave Friedman mod their stock Randall modules. Any modded Randall will get you close to the Egnater stuff. Some modules sound great on their own (Eg Brown and Blackface). Brown is a very clear sounding module. Randall SL+ stock is a bit muddy so is the Recto. Grail is much clearer Dual Rec tone.
I wouldn't be too concerned, I was lucky to come across those Eggie modules. If not, I would have had Pete work his magic and spent about the same money. Either way you go (Modded or Eggie), you're going to have a big smile on your face and killer tone. There are more differences between stock and modded, than modded and Egnater. The difference there is probably small (if any), and even if there was, would you be able to pick it at a gig volume.... unlikely.
Cheers

The last post only answered half your question so I posed it to Egnator support. Which BTW responded in less then a day. A question I posted to Randall support the only answer I got was the sound of crickets.

Q - Can I put a newer Egnator module in a RM100C?

A - (from Jeff at Egnator Support) - Yes but your randall will only read channel A and not b.

But it would probably only take a jumper to make it ch B instead of ch A.

That came from Bruce a year or so ago when we were discussing this.
Then of course I said "maybe we could put a switch...."
Don't remember the reply.

Roscoe

its roughly $375 for custom single channel Egnater module..

otherwise you can get any module from them, but will only get channel A...when you get a custom single channel, its always Channel B.more gain.

im still gassing for a Custom Single channel EG5. or that **** mod that allows us to run dual channels.

The egnater dual channels cost 400 new and about 350 used. I think I've heard that the RM100s can be modded to accept both. At first I thought because they shared the same EQ that it wouldn't be that great, but after owning and using them I love that it has two channels per module, I get a ton of mileage from them.

Yes they posted over at RigTalk that they would mod the rm100 to accept dual Eggys, but that has been put on hold in lieu of other work, Eggs are about twice the price, and seem to have a tedious wait time as they build on order.

There are a few people who actually enjoy the Randalls more- especially when you have mod upgrades. But at that point you're spending similar dollars for the mods...I had an single EG5 for awhile- great mod, but quite frankly I got a similar sound- maybe better- with my stock KH2 boosted for half the price.

I would really like to put my PeteMods in a battle against EG3/4, SL++ if anyone is in the Phila area 8)

On balance, I think I prefer the edgier Randall modules..but I got the best of both worlds, since I have a Dual Channel M4 into to power section of my RM50HB..and just completed the switching setup..6 channels online, soon to be 9 or 10. (Lynch Box or RM4 to be added :D)

I love the Randall signature modules but there are similar tones to be found in stock Egnater modules and vice-versa.