Recording Novice Needs Advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rising Farce

Reaction score
The tones, flexibility, and general awesomeness of my MTS amp have inspired me to start doing some recording. Unfortunately, I haven't recorded anything in 20 years, and even then I was using a $100 boom box with a built-in microphone.

So where should I begin? Taking into account that I am neither rich nor especially tech-savvy, what kind of mic(s), recording software (if any), and such would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Get a good interface. Anything by Presonus or MAudio will work. There is free recording software available so go that route. Get a SM57, not the best but there are tons of records recorded with that mic.

Thanks for the info.

So from a hardware standpoint, all I need is an interface, a mic, and the cables to hook them up? Where would I find the necessary software, and is there anything in particular you'd recommend in that area?

Thanks again.

Theres a whole bunch of software that you can use. If you are a beginner and on a mac then garage band might be your best bet. If you are beginner and using a pc then you could try mixcraft or reaper(might be free). Personally I use Ableton Live and I think its the bee's knees :wink:

Most interfaces come with a cut down version of one of their professional software packages for free.

Do you have firewire? Personally if you were on a budget I would recommend the Mackie Onyx Satellite (assuming you have firewire connectivity). I got one of these to link with my desk and give me a few more channels in and out and the preamps are great quality for the price. It also comes with Tracktion 2 which IMO is a great piece of software, its built like a tank...

I use the Mackie Onyx Satellite with Cubase SX3. I have some KRK6 monitors connected to the Satellite. I like this rig because it is simple enough, and I do not need more than two ins at once. I think it will be awesome when I buy my recording laptop for college in about a year because of the removable dock for the satellite.

Hmmm...since I'm not even sure what Firewire is (my computer knowledge doesn't extend much beyond Word and the occasional Excel file), I'm assuming I don't have it. Will this pose a problem?

Depends on what kind of recording you plan to do

if it's just putting down some guitartracks, a cheap 4/8/16-track standalone recorder would do the job just as well (and alot more portable than a computer)

with such a device you can simply put your Soundcard's line out in that and grab a program like fruityloops for some basic instruments (bass/drums/keyboards)
if you want to compose a bit more

Hi:
I hear you..so listen up..Im a recording Nut and can save you alot of heartache.
First, Throw yourself at it...go out and actaully buy that SM57. They rule, and if this doesnt work out you can resell it for what you bought it (if you bought it used).
Second, buy a decent interace, yeah the guy above was right..any presonus or M-audio man will do. I like Presonus..they actually support their stuff, last I knew. And its not crazy expensive.
Software? Just buy what everyone is talking about. I recomend Cubase ..any version you buy i sgood, actually.
Last, set aside a month or so..it will take that long to feel you know what the knobs do..
Sorry but its the truth. But the good news is..lots of friends on the internet to help you if you get in a bind.
Proof: this very post.

..jump in, the water is fine.

myspace.com/georgebarrysolo

+1 on Presonus, not so much on MAudio but you could do worse for sure and they have some afforable products. Presounus have a free Cubase product with a lot of their stuff as do most of the interface items.

Since you said you are kind of starting out again, I would highly recommend MixCraft. It is really inexpensive and VERY beginner friendly. No shirt, I bet you have a mix going within 15 minutes. They also have a great beginner friendly drum program called BeatCraft which is also very inexpensive and hella easy to use. I bet you can program a drum track within 10 minutes with it and not go crazy trying to figure it out.

That said learn one program from the start, Cubase, ProToolsLE, Sonar, whatever. Any of them are going to have a learning curve and you will just make your self crazy jumping around each.