replacement module pots

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus1

Reaction score
On the pots of the modules, when you have them apart, you can read the values on the front. Some have the letter "A" or "B" in the value. for example A1M or B25K. What does the "A" or "B" stand for. When looking up different valued pots from Alpha they also have this. Like 250kA or 1MB. What's it mean?

-Linear tapers are constant/equal increment in their resistive values as the "knob" is increased/decreased. These are good for tone controls because the increase/decrease is equal from value to the next. So, a bass pot set at noon is half of the bass available.

-"Audio" tapers increment/decrement in a logarithmic pattern. Logarithmic is actually set to emulate how the human ear hears an increase/decrease in volume and designated with an A. If the pot was set to noon or half, the volume is not likely to actually be half, but less than half.

Hope this helps. :wink:

hmm thought it was the other way around

that logoarithmic tapers were designed since the human ear does not recieve sound in a linear fashion and therefore 'center' position does not equal 50% of it's value

That seems to make more sense , but what the hell do I know? I'm the guy asking in the first place. Ok , so linear better for tone and audio for volume and gain. That's how this module is. Audio on the gain and volume and linear on the tone stack accept the bass pot which is an audio taper. Plexi module by the way. Thanks!

That was partially correct and partially backwards. You were good up until the "theoretical" lines at the end of each explanation.

Linear is just that: linear. The graph of their sweep looks like a straight diagonal from nothing to full open. Most often used in the tone stack knobs.

Log or Audio pots have a curve to their sweep on a graph that more closely represents human hearing response. Typical applications are gain and volume pots, but they are occasionally in tone stack knobs as you noted.

It should be noted that often to save costs, cheaper guitars use one type of pot all around. Many guitars can benefit from having a log taper for their volume and a linear pot for the tone knob. You can also simulate a log pot with a linear pot and an external resistor if that's easier for you.

A good read on pots can be found at http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm. Particularly of interest to you may be the section halfway down titled "Potentiometer Tapers".

Hope this helps!

Rob

Could one of you point me into the direction on where to get one of these pots? my volume pot on my xtc is screwed and I need a new one, really bad! Or if somebody has one i will take it.

isburgracing said:
Could one of you point me into the direction on where to get one of these pots? my volume pot on my xtc is screwed and I need a new one, really bad! Or if somebody has one i will take it.

Mouser, Digikey, Allied Electric, or here is one at small bear electronics
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=694

I had to order one myself. Mouser carries them. They are no longer made by Alpha (for the time being) due to RoHS. BI Technology parts are listed as direct replacements. They run about 80 cents each. Make sure you buy 6mm shaft diameter with a 16mm back.

Peace, Joshua

It's stamped on the front of the pot, meaning you have to disassemble the module partially to read it. Mine was 500KA (log or audio) but some have 1M or even 250K.

Odd. I just ordered a few and they had like 100 in stock just friday. Did you try Mouser? Did you try to look for all manufacturers, not just Alpha or BI? I'd let you have one of mine but that might be quite a drive from your house to south Texas.

Peace, Joshua

I found some on mojomusicalsupply actually. no alpha, but same specs as the current ones. also found good deal on chickenhead knobs...

^ SPAM ALERT ^

However, I must thank said spammer for bumping up this thread. I was wondering what to search for in the pots for modules, as I have 2 or 3 that are about to hit the garbage can.

Should I search for PCB termination? When I do, I come up with all these weird looking pots with square backs that look like the Borg got a hold of them :lol:

fearnloathing said:
isburgracing said:

Mouser, Digikey, Allied Electric, or here is one at small bear electronics
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=694

Small Bear fucking rocks...