rm 100 master volume and module volume level?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
Lately I have been turning up the master volume way up like 2 or 3 and keeping my module volume lower and sounds ptetty good and I did this so my stick clean would not distort and clean and distortion volumes would be even anyone else turn master up more than their modules master volume

I used to get the added burn in my old Yamaha T100 tube head with the master volume over 5 and kept the high output volume down by inserting a multi effect box in the serial fx loop and keeping the fx boxes volume low, in effect starving the power tubes. It seemed to me to sound great, and didn't really burn the power tubes up, but I didn't max it out, which might have kept them healthy for longer.

It's not the same as pushing massive volume thru the tubes, but it can make an improvement in the tone if you want to engage the power amp in your tone at home or apt volume levels.

There are some cheap fake "attenuater" boxes on eBay that just go in your fx loop and have a volume knob. I haven't used one, so ymmv, but it's a though (not endorsing these... Has anyone played with them?).

(I traded that head later to help pay for the original chrome V-Twin Rack, and 2020 power amp... Still kinda miss that old head lol - it had 13 preamp tubes and a great clean channel.)

Somebody did a comparison clip of master up / volume down and vice versa a while ago. See if you can search that out.

This topic has been discussed but I can't accurately remember what the consensus was. Personally, I like to keep the master at 11:00 to 1:00.

I have a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, always on, and never change the settings. The Vol and Gain sliders blink when it's clipping. They clip when I turn any module volume over about 2-3. So I keep them low (just below where the EQ clips) and use the master volume for my... ummm.. volume.. But I only play bedroom volume so never above 3-4 unless I'm drunk and get a wild hair..

warlok said:
I have a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, always on, and never change the settings. The Vol and Gain sliders blink when it's clipping. They clip when I turn any module volume over about 2-3. So I keep them low (just below where the EQ clips) and use the master volume for my... ummm.. volume.. But I only play bedroom volume so never above 3-4 unless I'm drunk and get a wild hair..

Interesting. I have my module volumes at 3 to 3.5 (9:00 to 9:30) and the master at 11:00 to 1:00 depending on how loud I need to be. I get to let the tubes breath a bit in my living situation.

Maybe I will hook up my MXR 10 band and see if I am getting any clipping.