RM-20/22 Silent Mode?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djd100

Reaction score
Hmmm, I take it you can record silently with these correct?

If yes, is the FX Loop usable in silent mode?

Is the non-compensated Line Out usable in silent mode?

Thanks...

I seem to recall this being addressed to an extent in the manual and rarely ever use my RM22, never for recording. From what I recall and based on the schematics:

- I am certain it can be used for silent recording and has an internal load for this.

- The FX loop is between the pre and power sections, so it should be active in silent recording. The silent recording out taps it's signal off of the speaker out post power amp.

- The non-compensated out is always between the pre and power sections (same as an FX loop), so this too should be active.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Thanks Rob, much appreciated!

Another question, is the boost feature pre or post module?

I Googled for a RM-22 schemo with no luck, can I get a copy of yours?

Thanks...

Jaded Faith said:
I seem to recall this being addressed to an extent in the manual and rarely ever use my RM22, never for recording. From what I recall and based on the schematics:

- I am certain it can be used for silent recording and has an internal load for this.

- The FX loop is between the pre and power sections, so it should be active in silent recording. The silent recording out taps it's signal off of the speaker out post power amp.

- The non-compensated out is always between the pre and power sections (same as an FX loop), so this too should be active.

Hope that helps,
Rob

It's pre and post: the boost is in front of the module and the level for it is post-module. To quote the manual:

Silent Mode
Sends amp signal to XLR output and mutes speaker outputs- The amp can work standalone without speaker hooked up (Automatic when no external speaker connected on Head version).

As for the schematic, just email Randall and they should send it. I am an authorized service center and get mine directly from the FTP site, but I prefer to direct those inquiries directly to Randall.

Thanks Rob, appreciate the help!

Jaded Faith said:
It's pre and post: the boost is in front of the module and the level for it is post-module. To quote the manual:

Silent Mode
Sends amp signal to XLR output and mutes speaker outputs- The amp can work standalone without speaker hooked up (Automatic when no external speaker connected on Head version).

As for the schematic, just email Randall and they should send it. I am an authorized service center and get mine directly from the FTP site, but I prefer to direct those inquiries directly to Randall.

Jaded Faith said:

Silent Mode

Although this is true for the RM20, it is NOT true for the RM22. The recording out and line out ONLY work when the amp is set to Live mode, which means you get no recording out unless signal goes to the speakers. Randall screwed the pooch on this one and released a combined manual for RM20 and RM22 that leads one to believe that Silent mode on an RM22 will work as it does on an RM20. What they failed to tell you is that an RM 20 actually has 3 states in its switch: Live, Silent and Standby. For whatever reason when the RM22 was released they removed the true Silent mode and re-labeled Standby as Silent.

I used to have an RM20, and Silent mode works as the manual describes. I just tested my RM22 before posting this, and Silent does not send any signal out the recording out. It is just a standby. Unless Randall released different versions of the RM22, you will not be able to use the recording out unless you have the amp switched to Live mode with signal going to the speakers, which means you better have something like the Weber Mass Attenuator or THD Hot Plate to add a load to your amp so you can do silent recording. I am not wiling to gamble that unplugging the speaker out in Live mode connects an internal dummy load just to get silent recording working. Maybe Jaded Faith or someone else who has access to a schematic can verify whether a dummy load is in circuit if no speaker cable is connected. I did not see any obvious load resistor when I had my amp opened up years ago. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. All I can say for sure is that the front panel switch for Silent is not what it appears to be.

My RM20 schemo shows a 8 Ohm 35W resistor switched by the external speaker connector, and the RM-22 is supposed to use the same arrangement (my RM22 schemo does not show the power section)?

It really looks as if you just dis-connect the speaker output the power section gets loaded by that resistor no matter what happens on the front panel?

If I get one of these little MTS amps I really want the silent feature, but I'd certainly prefer two slots etc.

I think I figured this out...

It appears that Combo amps have a Silent switch setting, but Heads don't and disconnecting the speaker out enables the load resistor for silent use with the Heads.