RM100 arcing problem - SOLVED!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bewitagos1

Reaction score
First, I want to thank Doug at Randall for writing me to discuss the problems I was having with two RM100s. Both used heads contained boards made prior to 2004 with known issues for arcing. :?

Per Doug's request, I purchased two of the revised RM100-A circuit boards at a very modest price, installed the first one and found it was damaged at the factory (a cap fell out, very minor problem that I can resolve on my own) so I installed the second board, fired it up, biased the tubes, dimed the volume and low and behold, she held her own ground for a solid hour of power chords and harmonic minor runs. \m/

I want to thank everyone of you for listening to me whine for the past 6 months since I joined here and helped me in looking for an answer.

Sound clip to follow shortly.
Jimmie

Jaded Faith said:
I love a happy ending! Glad to hear it worked out for you and welcome back to life.

Rob

I'd like to consider it a happy beginning! If it weren't for the 1086 you modded for me sounding so good, I'd have went back to a mesa rig a long time ago.

Thanks Rob.

I had a experience similar to yours like 2-3 months ago. Amp started acting odd and had a bunch of intermittent crackles and pops going on. Pulled the chassis to find one of the tube resistors had a leg cut too short from the factory and there was a half-assed solder link to a piece of wire to make it work. Rattled loose and was going in and out of contact. Fixed it and flawless ever since.

Happy to hear you can enjoy your 1086 now!

Hi dude...where did you bought the RM100 boards?

My amp is dead right now because of blown fuses... dont know for sure If I have this arcing problem... I bought mine some time ago.. but it is parked after 6 months for this p.o.s. board, bad designed... :evil:

joeymex said:
Hi dude...where did you bought the RM100 boards?

My amp is dead right now because of blown fuses... dont know for sure If I have this arcing problem... I bought mine some time ago.. but it is parked after 6 months for this p.o.s. board, bad designed... :evil:

Bought them directly from Randall. if you have an older amp, some of the RM100-A power distribution boards arc because the traces were etched too closely to one another. the revise boards are "opened up" and the resistance increased beyond the ability to arc.

You might want to provide some more details before you decide to buy, for instance, which fuses are blowing? might be something as simple as correctly biasing the tubes, or making sure you have your ohms load set properly for the cabinet you're using. I think for me, my problem came from running the modules wide open. Now I only run the level on the modules just short of pinning the db meter on my TC Electronics Gmajor.

If you get tired of dealing with it, drop me a note and lets discuss some other options.

Jimmie