RM100 head fan necessary?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I am a first-time MTS owner as of Sunday! I scored the RM100 head with three modules plus the R412CB cab for a total of $900, so I'm pretty happy about that. I have a couple of questions:

a) Is the fan really necessary? I'd like to use this amp to do some low-volume recording and I'm concerned about the fan noise getting into the tracks. It seems a lot louder than the fans in my Mesa Mark III or my Ampeg SVT-II.

b) Are there any general reliability concerns I should know about? I have seen a fair number of reports of issues and failures with this amp, and I know that a lot of people change transformers.

I have the JTM, Tweed, and XTC modules, and I am really digging the tones so far. Been wanting one of these amps for a long time.

depending on my gain settings of which module, my amp is DEAD SILENT. no way to tell its even on but the lights...

Really...is your fan spinning but just silent? Perhaps a silent fan is the ticket.

you can put the head in a different room than the speakers. you can install a switch to turn the fan off and on. i dont think 100 watts is ideal for "low-volume recording". once the amp is cranked to a certain level i cant hear the fan at all.

I know 100 watts isn't ideal for what I'm trying to do, but I certainly wasn't going to pass up an awesome deal on an RM100 because it had more power than I wanted. I do have a Hot Plate to tame it a little. I may also pull a pair of tubes...based my past experience I don't expect it to make much of a noticeable output level difference, but no reason to be burning four power tubes at a time in there when two will suffice.

Has anybody tried disconnecting the fan or adding an off switch or anything like that? What were the consequences? I can certainly understand how it might be necessary when using the amp cranked, but surely I'm not generating a great deal of heat when using it at apartment levels.

I've close-mic'd my cab before w/the head sitting on the cab and I don't hear anything in my recordings...and I have probably the least ideal recording studio around

I wound up putting a switch on it, and that works great. Simple, idiot-proof fix.

Up....
Same issue here so i'm wondering if someone has replaced his fan and if he can tell us the model it was.(a link will be great) :wink:

Whoopysnorp said:
a) I'd like to use this amp to do some low-volume recording and I'm concerned about the fan noise getting into the tracks.

"I'd like to drive to church (25 mph) but this Corvette exaust is too noisy."

b) Are there any general reliability concerns I should know about? I have seen a fair number of reports of issues and failures with this amp, and I know that a lot of people change transformers.

I had to return my first one, but I'm sure your warranty will cover any problems. ☺

The fan on my RM100 is dead quiet. Especially compared to the Diezel truck sounding fan in my stiletto.

I have disconnected the fan for the moment...I think it makes noise because it is tired.

Latest posts