RM100 - Holy awesome bass amp! But is it safe?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
So, my bass player flaked out of practice the other day (nothing out of the ordinary, lol), and he had left his bass guitar at our practice pad. So, I figured I'd try plugging his bass into my RM100, as I had noticed the insane amounts of bass available in my Vybe Deluxe - just to see how it would sound. To all of our surprise, holy crap man, my RM100 through my Zinky 4x12 just KILLS! I mean, wall shaking lows, aggressive mids, and crystal highs. And, not a hint of speaker strain or distortion, and that was with my master volume at about 10 o'clock (I usually only play it at 9 o'clock with my guitar). My MTS rig sounds twice as good as his bass rig, lol.

I wouldnt expect everyone to get the same results, as I have a feeling a-lot of this has to do with the cab, as this Zinky is the tightest, heaviest (100+ lbs!), and smallest 4x12 I've ever seen (sorry, I've been in love with this cab since day 1 - cant reccomend it enough). Maybe I'll try plugging into my lead guitarists Mesa or Marshall cab to see if I get similar results.

In any case, is there any danger to my amp or speakers by running a bass through it? I wouldnt think so, as a 100W is a 100W regardless of the frequency. But maybe the speakers will eventually give up the ghost if pushed that hard for an extended period of time? The magnets on these speakers are absolutely massive, so maybe no worries there? Will my speakers/amp give me any warning before they go, if that were a possibility?

I'd like to think that I'm just one Jazz Bass away from being a bass player in case my bass player bails at an inopportune time (do they ever bail any other time?), lol.

Oh, heres a link in case I can make any converts, lol. You can find these dirt cheap on the used market simply because no-one knows what they are (especially at Guitar Center. Got mine for about $300 at GC).

http://www.zinky.com/412.html

The only concern I would have are how much headroom the cab has beyond 100W (and if the loaded speakers can handle the excursion) and why you don't have my Ampeg SVP bass module. :lol:

That and I'd probably worry about if the arc fix was done on this RM100 based on how old it is.

Jaded Faith said:
The only concern I would have are how much headroom the cab has beyond 100W (and if the loaded speakers can handle the excursion) and why you don't have my Ampeg SVP bass module. :lol:

That and I'd probably worry about if the arc fix was done on this RM100 based on how old it is.

Just the man I was hoping to hear from!

If the time comes that I need to jump on bass for awhile, you'll be first in my list for that svp. But, the vybe sounded awesome. Hell, the RVerb sounded awesome too for an overdriven bass. Neither gave the slightest hint of mud. Almost sounded like they were meant for bass, lol.

And, how do I go about that arcing fix? I'd love to do this regardless. Do I just goop up the underside of the tube sockets? Can I just coat my entire main board with some silicone or similar? What do you suggest for this Rob?

That's very good to hear, as I get plenty of questions about the use of bass with the RM100. The SVP is pretty sweet.

The arc-fix is a little involved and not a critical thing. I do it as a preventive measure on all amps that enter my shop. You have to cut a pair of traces, rewire a pin on each power tube socket and two transformer taps. I believe the PCB was revised by Randall later in the product life as a precaution though.

If you aren't really competent with working on PCB's and amps, this is not a chore to try at home. Little room for error and it involves lines running the highest voltages in your amp.

SVP is next on my list. I have an old Silvertone 15" bass cab I can use it with for live and loud however the primary use will be direct into Torpedo WOS bass cabs.

Well, as far as my speakers/cab are concerned, I just went to the source. Bruce Zinky (the guy behind many of the best, classic fender amps made) is always very helpful & responsive - just like our modders and Bruce Egnater. His re:

"The speakers are paper edged, so, if you do run 'em for bass, you will eventually tear 'em up, especially if you use a lot of power. But a 100 Watt guitar amp? Naw, they'll take it.

BZ"

Kick a$$, and here's to the Bruce's of the world! :lol:

Batman's name is Bruce. I have never seen any of you and Batman in the same place.... Hmmm.

Any relation to Red Bank's resident pop culture expert Robert Bruce? (Who i'd forgotten the existence of but saw on an episode of Comic Book Men this afternoon.)

Hi,
I have some more general questionis about using a RM100 for playing bass:

1. Are there any gneral restrictions for the cabinet I would use with the RM100 (handling of the power etc.)?

2. Would it make sense to install 4xKT88 in the RM100 to inctrease the output power of the RM100 to get more low end thumb? (What about question 1. with this setup?).

3. Any problems with using bass guitars with active EQ/pickups in terms of blowing somthing up?

Jaded Faith said:
That's very good to hear, as I get plenty of questions about the use of bass with the RM100. The SVP is pretty sweet.

The arc-fix is a little involved and not a critical thing. I do it as a preventive measure on all amps that enter my shop. You have to cut a pair of traces, rewire a pin on each power tube socket and two transformer taps. I believe the PCB was revised by Randall later in the product life as a precaution though.

If you aren't really competent with working on PCB's and amps, this is not a chore to try at home. Little room for error and it involves lines running the highest voltages in your amp.

Do you happen to know if the upgrade/fix was implemented when the Rm100 Lynch Box came out? I'll be doing the Fog lifter and Impedance switch upgrade soon so I figure if the upgrade wasn't done I'll tackle that as well. Are instructions available on this procedure? If I come up with enough scratch I may also do a Mecrucy transformer upgrade. Didn't I read somewhere you have something in the works with Mercury??

Indeed, you have:

Along with several other non-MTS projects I have in the works, this pic shows one of the custom transformers I have been developing with Mercury Magnetics. All but three of the new transformers are complete and there will be custom replacements for the entire line. These will only be available through Jaded Faith Mods. Once they are compete and the prototypes are tested a formal announcement will be posted through all outlets.

As for confirming if a change was made to your PCB or not, it's very difficult to tell without seeing the amp in person. I can tell you the manual fix would not be something the factory would perform, as it would be too labor intensive. They would have manufactured a new PCB instead.

Latest posts