RM100 -- I'm lazy

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
I need to confirm something.

So if I pull two tubes (outer), and I have an 8 ohm 212, I plug the speaker into the 4 ohm spot, right?

If I run a hot plate for DI recording, and since it's 4 ohms, I need to put the two tubes back in to use that since the amp doesn't have a 2 ohm output, right?

I think THD people said I can also run ONE 8 ohm cab with the 4 ohm Hot Plate and connect to the 4 ohm output, right?

I'm thinking of selling one of my Avatar 212s. The one with the Vintage 30s.

Interesting,

I would imagine for recording at low volume, you would be better off leaving the tubes in and running the hot plate, than pulling tubes in an attempt to cut volume. Trying to record the amp with just 1 tube type? Another poster mentioned to me that he was successful cranking the master volume, and using the module volume knob to control the level, have you tried this?

And yes, pulling two tubes does "halve" what the impedance selector must be, do not plug into the 4ohm jack if you pull the tubes!

Good luck!

I've decided I'm going to use my 212 with the Greenbacks with the four 6550s. I'm looking at the fact that basically I've got a clean power amp and using the preamps as dirt or clean. I'm not worried about blowing the speakers because I'm just using maybe 10 watts anyway. I'm doing mostly practice, writing, and recording. Not gigging so that's not an issue.

Just due to other factors and ease of recording I might just use the RM100 for my practice and grab a copy of Eleven LE for a recording plugin (saves reamping). I've heard it. It sounds good, and no one is going to care if I'm using an amp model plugin if it sounds good and fits in teh mix with what else I'm doing. I know it's not purist.

But until next year I be using the RM100 + Hotplate for recording. I've got to pay off some stuff and sell some stuff before I can make any more changes.

I would get a dummy load, and come out of your slave out into your recording device and just use cab modeling, instead of modeling the whole amp. I do it for practice, sound great! of course you can just come out of the preamp as well.

speedemon said:
Interesting,

I would imagine for recording at low volume, you would be better off leaving the tubes in and running the hot plate, than pulling tubes in an attempt to cut volume. Trying to record the amp with just 1 tube type? Another poster mentioned to me that he was successful cranking the master volume, and using the module volume knob to control the level, have you tried this?

And yes, pulling two tubes does "halve" what the impedance selector must be, do not plug into the 4ohm jack if you pull the tubes!

Good luck!

Basically what you're saying is if you pull two tubes:
4 ohm jack = actually 2 ohm
8 ohm jack = 4 ohm
16 ohm jack = 8 ohm

Right?

Okay then, well that means I ran my Laney at the wrong ohmage for quite a while :shock:
About 2 - 3 months or something I ran it with 2 tubes and the speakers at standard 8 ohms

So that wasn't good on my output transformer I guess?
Do you know any effects of this? (what effect does it have on tone?)

It does effect the tone, but it won't really hurt your transformers...A mismatched impedance off 1 setting is generally ok...What you don't want to do is have your amps set at 16 ohms and run a 4 ohm cabinet...