RM100 is cutting out

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Been having some trouble with my RM100. It cuts out when I play the strings hard. I have tried to troubleshoot the problem by swapping tubes and I still have the problem. I made a short video to better show the problem. It seems that when I put it into standby and then back to play the sound returns but not always.

Sorry about the video quality. I put it together real quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkqead2-Gr4

Could be any number of things but I'm guessing you've elminated a particular module or slot by swapping and testing?

Cut out is usually a loose connection or a heating problem in my experience....first place to check would be cables (speaker and guitar signal.

JKD said:
Could be any number of things but I'm guessing you've elminated a particular module or slot by swapping and testing?

Cut out is usually a loose connection or a heating problem in my experience....first place to check would be cables (speaker and guitar signal.

Sounded like a bad connection, scratchy almost like cold solder joint somewhere or cable like JKD said. Did it happen all of a sudden or gradually progress to what you are experiencing?

Jimmie

I only have one module so I cant eliminate it as being the possible problem. I have tried other guitar and speaker cables also. I also plunged directly into the series fx return and got sound so I suppose that eliminates the power section as being the problem. Ive got a gig at a hall on Saturday and was really looking forward to having the RM100 in the backline.

Does anyone suspect a wornout standby switch?

Tube Head said:
I only have one module so I cant eliminate it as being the possible problem. I have tried other guitar and speaker cables also. I also plunged directly into the series fx return and got sound so I suppose that eliminates the power section as being the problem. Ive got a gig at a hall on Saturday and was really looking forward to having the RM100 in the backline.

Does anyone suspect a wornout standby switch?

If it was that..then you'd get sound cutting out when plugging into the FX return.

Can you plug your one module into slot 2 or 3 and test? This will test the slot...but I suspect it's either a faulty module (tube?) or the module isn't making proper contact.

I couldn't really tell much from the video you posted

I did move the module into another slot and it was the same. The tubes in the module were swapped and made no difference. The contact that the module could be the problem. I inspected it and it looks slightly corroded. It is also a very old module.

What can I do to clean the contacts? Would the contact cleaner I bought from radio shack work?
I can make another video or post closeup pictures. Im not sure what would be the most effective.

Tube Head said:
I did move the module into another slot and it was the same. The tubes in the module were swapped and made no difference. The contact that the module could be the problem. I inspected it and it looks slightly corroded. It is also a very old module.

What can I do to clean the contacts? Would the contact cleaner I bought from radio shack work?
I can make another video or post closeup pictures. Im not sure what would be the most effective.

Electrical contact cleaner works just fine...just don't spray any inside the amp head :D

Tube Head said:

Poorman's contact cleaner? On the male end, I use an eraser and gently clean the contacts. Do you know anyone or possibly a music store that would allow you to test your module in their rig? Process of elimination is your best bet.

Alas I live in a small secluded town. The nearest city (Vancouver) doesn't even have a store that stocks MTS.

Tube Head said:
Alas I live in a small secluded town. The nearest city (Vancouver) doesn't even have a store that stocks MTS.

You know we have the same situation around here. The nearest store that actually stocks Randall MTS stuff is in San Francisco and possibly one in Portland OR.

I think these amps are the best kept secret in the world. I was wondering why stores don't stock them, then it hit me. Why stock something you're only going to make one purchase and a bunch of small purchases when you can stock stuff that makes people buy multiple amp heads or multiple combo amps? Most people I know didn't even know they existed until I told them. And I didn't know until a friend told me about her Egnater Mod50.

Julia said:
Tube Head said:

You know we have the same situation around here. The nearest store that actually stocks Randall MTS stuff is in San Francisco and possibly one in Portland OR.

I think these amps are the best kept secret in the world. I was wondering why stores don't stock them, then it hit me. Why stock something you're only going to make one purchase and a bunch of small purchases when you can stock stuff that makes people buy multiple amp heads or multiple combo amps? Most people I know didn't even know they existed until I told them. And I didn't know until a friend told me about her Egnater Mod50.
+1 these amps are only getting better with all the people that see the FULL POTENTIAL!!! :lol:

Ive cleaned the contact on the module and the amp still cuts out. Ive taken the amp apart to have a visual and it shows nothing obvious. I am running out of ideas.

The last time I had this amp break down I had to take it to a tech. It seems he had left a 2" long stick of solder inside the amp to bounce around freely.

I removed the stick of solder and the amp has be fine ever since. I can only speculate how this could cause my trouble but it is the only thing I could find wrong with the amp.

Tube Head said:
The last time I had this amp break down I had to take it to a tech. It seems he had left a 2" long stick of solder inside the amp to bounce around freely.

I removed the stick of solder and the amp has be fine ever since. I can only speculate how this could cause my trouble but it is the only thing I could find wrong with the amp.

Thank goodness you found that now and not after it had shorted a high voltage inside the amp!!!

I will use the amp for my gig. I always have my Crate powerblock nearby if I have any trouble.

Tube Head said:
It worked! I had a great night and no problems with the RM100. Heres Proof :)

Way cool, thanks for sharing! The sepia tone effect on the video is a nice touch as well. After I got mine fired up, I was wondering if the ohms select switch on your rig was seated properly. Glad you figured it out

Jimmie