RM100 noise update.. * changed subject

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUlrich1227

Reaction score
Hello All been lurking for a while, picked up my RM100 a few months ago (used) have not had any issues, came with 3 modules ultra / 1086 / KH-3..
Seemed a little noisy so i recently decided o pick up a gate. (MXR Smart Gate).. I plugged it into the Series loop but the loop does not seem to be working .. the gate doesnt seem to "light" if i puit the amp on standby it lights.. If i plug direct guitar to gate to ampinput it works fine .. How can i test if the loop is working , would i just not work? Is there somewhere that it needs to be turned on??

Thanks
Dave

First off make sure that the right connections are plugged in. It sounds like there is nothing coming out of the "send". If that doesn't work check the jacks and make sure they are clean. If you got it used you will want to make sure all the jacks are clean anyway. Use some Deoxit5 or similar product. If that doesn't work, You got problems...

forgot i had an old flanger in the closet... plugged that in to the series loop no issue it worked, added the MXR to the chain it worked as well, It wont work alone which i find kind of odd... Think ill return it tommorrow.. not sure what direciton to go... i seem to be getting alot of hiss... going to double check the wiring in my guitar as well...

Is anyone else out there using any kind of noise gates? Anyone happen to be using a MXR smart gate via the series loop?

A while back there were some threads about the ISP products. The Decimator and the G String are supposed to be really good noise reduction pedals. I have'nt tried them personally. I use the noise gate in my GMajor2.

Check out this thread:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=10837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=isp&start=0

It sounds like you might have a noisy 12AX7 in the amp itself...I had the same thing happen to mine.....changed a few 12AX7's and the noise went away...Generally speaking, the MTS amps are pretty quiet as far as noise is concerned....

Ohh didnt think of swapping the tubes...

I rewired my guitar today thinking it was that... I than got to thinking myabe its my room ?? I found a post regarding adding a cap to he input board... do this issue sound like a candidate for that fix

nothing plugged in ULTRA module standard light hiss, 1086 quite..
if i plugg an instument/guitar cable into it (prolink monster rock) with out guitar the buzz is louder and more pronounced. If i move the cable around my room it almost changes the tone of the buzz and i can hear the cable moving through the speakers... When i plug my guitar in its obscenely loud buzzing and if i move my guitar around / hold i upside down the buzz changes..

anythoughts?

dave

DUlrich1227 said:
Ohh didnt think of swapping the tubes...

I rewired my guitar today thinking it was that... I than got to thinking myabe its my room ?? I found a post regarding adding a cap to he input board... do this issue sound like a candidate for that fix

nothing plugged in ULTRA module standard light hiss, 1086 quite..
if i plugg an instument/guitar cable into it (prolink monster rock) with out guitar the buzz is louder and more pronounced. If i move the cable around my room it almost changes the tone of the buzz and i can hear the cable moving through the speakers... When i plug my guitar in its obscenely loud buzzing and if i move my guitar around / hold i upside down the buzz changes..

anythoughts?

dave

I tried a different cable ( planet waves) buzz is 10x worse (no guitar) and if i hold it above my head it get worse if i bring it closer to the ground it almost goes away...

Rod said:
Generally speaking, the MTS amps are pretty quiet as far as noise is concerned....

Yeah they really are, compared to a Bugera 333XL which is INCREDIBLY noisy.. its really quiet.

ok need some suggestions .. most of my guitars are 1 hum no tone straight volumn I plugged in an ibanez with the tone rolled back and the noise wasnt not as in the face still there but not as LOUD.. as soon as i roll the tone knob up BAM noise .. I also notice i am picking up interfernece from my wireless uverse box ...

will the cap mod on the input fix my issue or is this something else?
any recommendations on tubes than to try ?
I was also looking for directions whats the best way to take apart the amp to get to the input board to add the cap if this will fix my issue?

So you're getting the true vintage hum?

Do you have a cell phone in the room with the wireless? how about a wireless router? I've heard stories of interference.

How is the wiring where you are using the amp? It sounds like a grounding problem. How about the wiring in your guitar? Did the ground wire come loose? What about the guitar cable?

I can say it probably isn't tubes.

Unplug your guitar from your amp. Do you still get the hum? If not, then plug in the guitar cable with a different guitar. Hum? Try a differnt cable.

If it's a Monster or Mogami cable return it to GC and get another. If it's a "cheap" cable, buy a couple neutrik plugs and put new plugs on the cable.