RM100 vs RM4 & RT2/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad100

Reaction score
RM100 vs RM4 & RT2/50

is there a major sound/tone differences? Rm100 is just to heavy, and horribly balanced weight wise.

Rm4 and Rt 2/50...sep racks...small cabs...it can work.
sure multiple trips in and out but...
thats the price of tone.
so sayeth
GtrGeorge

nomad100 said:
RM100 vs RM4 & RT2/50

is there a major sound/tone differences? Rm100 is just to heavy, and horribly balanced weight wise.

man oh man, i feel your pain. i ditched the rm100 for that one reason...weight! i'll spare you the long path to my current rig but i've ended up with the ultimate rig IMHO.

RM4 + mesa 20/20 in a single 5U rack (along with Xpression and Furman).
total weight about 50lbs. the skb 5U rack is also a roller rack. stack my footpedal on the rack, carry guitar in other hand = one trip. 2x12 NXT cab = 1 trip. total trips to car: 2.

I loved the RT2/50 but did not cure the weight problem. Went thru several other power amps and I cannot say enough good things about the mesa. It weights 14lbs and packs the punch of a 50/50.

do the "deep mod" on the mesa tho; takes about 15 minutes; details available online.

absolutely love this rig

i do like the sound of el84, probably a lot more affordable as well than the rt2/50. I could probably build a power amp to use with the rack.

I went the rack route for maximum versatility... not weight.

My rack is 38 kilograms, 84 lbs!!

Every rackunit has a tough casing, where as a head has it all in 1 shell.
So don't mistake between that.
Also the RM100 for instance has 1 power transformer vs. 1 in the RM4 and 1 in the RT2/50.

On the other hand an EL84 poweramp will defintly be lighter.
for a rack casing I'd say go for the SKB X-rack, very tough, easy to carry and light(ish). Plus no rattling handles.
Also it you turn it upside down and mount everything that way it has 2 perfect feet for standing on a cab :)

more than likely i'd build a power amp, and use toroidal transformer for the power which would be lighter.