RM4 and M4 "compatibility" question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

After a year using a POD I am back to my twin RM4 rack with a Judge module on the way.

I am considering swapping one of the RM4's for an M4 to add a few dual channel egnaters modules to the mix. However, I remember reading here that some of the Randall modules didn't sound as good on the M4 as they did on the RM4. Has this ever been confirmed?

Cheers!

I hadn't heard that . . . although I've never owned an RM4 (I just have two M4s). If you use the same tubes, and don't use the effects loop(s) on the RM4 (for which the RM4 has an extra tube), then I wouldn't think there would be that noticeable of a difference; although I'm just speculating here.

The M4 Single, M$ Dual and RM4 sound virtually identical.....the Dual M4 might be slightly clearer/cleaner (one less ax7 in the signal path) and perhaps 'warmer' but it's a minor thing in my opinion....might even be totally invisible in a band mix*

I've had 3 RM4s in total, a Single M4 and 2 Dual M4s.... and all of these products side by side into the same power section (Randall RM50HB.)

I may also be selling my Dual M4...but only for the right price, LOL

*NOTE: I only play at fairly low volumes at home (<9:30 - 10 o'clock on the master) so the difference may be greater or lesser at high volumes.

At one time, I had two M4's and two RM4's and a combination of Randall and Egnater dual modules...I never noticed a difference in tone with a module in one as opposed to the other. They all sounded the same to me.
I typically use them in a live/full band situation.
Any tone differences between them is probably all in your mind.