RM4 Poweramp recommendations - need advice

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
I've had my RM4 for a couple months now and really just love the tones I am getting - so much that I have been running straight into my Marshall EL84 20/20 power amp no effects. Everything is great but I think maybe the 20/20 is now the "weak link" in my chain.

I am really wondering if I should get a new poweramp - seriously considering buying a used VHT 2/50/2. I also don't have the option to try before I buy becuase I live in an isolated small centre.

I am not gigging and mainly play as a serious-obsessive hobby for now. The Marshall 20/20 is more than loud enough for what I need volume-wise; I just think the EL84's are compressing/softning the tone and maybe a little weak on the lowend thump. :cry:

Great tone, but at "reasonable" or lower volume is what I am looking for. So, would I be better off with the VHT 2/50/2 or, for my purposes, am I better off with the Mashall 20/20? I really need advice here thanks guys.

Mike

I would think if your marshall is in good working order that it should be enough. But if you are coming down with a case the GAS, go big. Alot of guys on here are running the VHT. There are guys on here using the Mesa and Randall also. Im sure you could find some pretty solid review on this forum.

Hey Mike .there really is not a whole lot of options in the tube power amp category and they can be costly .

First off is the Randall/rt 250 which allows you to blend power tubes and sounds pretty good .

The VHT is a great choice if you dig the EL34 tone .

the only other route is if you use or prefer 6l6s is really a Mesa50/50

I've not heard much about ENGL power amps on here. Has anybody tried one with their RM4? Or if they have, have they noticed a big difference over 6L6 based amps? I'm pretty sure the ENGL I have in mind uses 5881's, but probably the Sovtek ones. I'd like to hear a comparison between the Randall with Tung Sol 5881's and the ENGL wirth the same tubes...

I can't speak for your Marshall 20/20 but the VHT 2/50/2 sounds great at any volume and is a purchase that will last you a lifetime. I've used many power amps with my RM4 and I wish I would have gone with the VHT first. The 2/50/2 also uses EL34s or 6L6s.

Julia said:
And if you're on a budget: Carvin TS100.

--The only thing that concerns me about that amp is most of the reviews I read seem to call it very neutral sounding and not really as interactive with the rest of the gear as the other power amps mentioned ..
although I have not used one

The Carvin TS100 is actually a pretty good power amp - I have the older version (T100 - which from what I have heard - the only differences are cosmetic - as mine is black faced with only vol controls on the front - the presence controls are on the back) and I used it for quite for a while - I really liked it with some JJ E34L's - I guess you could say it was a bit neutral sounding, but that just let the tone of the mods shine.

That being said I ended up with a VHT 2/90/2. After trying almost all of the available power amps (I haven't had a chance to try the Randall, or a VHT 2150), but tried engl, mesa, marshall etc. - none came close to the punch and dynamics that I was able to get out of the 2/90/2. It is currently loaded with Tung Sol RI 6550's, as far as power amps go - there isn't anything else I would use.

I, like many of you use the 2/50/2. Can't say enough good things about it. Previoulsy used a H&K SS poweramp single rack space, which was weak sounding to say the least - really lacking bottom. The 2/50/2 makes any module in the RM/4 really sound like a real amp. One writer posted that the 2/50/2 takes 6L6 as well as EL34, but that's not an option in the newer 2/50/2. From what I've read, the 2/50/2 never sounded right with the 6L6, so that option was eliminated. However, I did once hear a Black Beauty edition 2/50/2 with 6L6 tubes standard, and it sounded great (with a Mesa recto recording preamp). But the Black Beauty editions we're probably modified quite a bit to work well with the 6L6 power section.

guitarrob said:
I, like many of you use the 2/50/2. Can't say enough good things about it. Previoulsy used a H&K SS poweramp single rack space, which was weak sounding to say the least - really lacking bottom. The 2/50/2 makes any module in the RM/4 really sound like a real amp. One writer posted that the 2/50/2 takes 6L6 as well as EL34, but that's not an option in the newer 2/50/2. From what I've read, the 2/50/2 never sounded right with the 6L6, so that option was eliminated. However, I did once hear a Black Beauty edition 2/50/2 with 6L6 tubes standard, and it sounded great (with a Mesa recto recording preamp). But the Black Beauty editions we're probably modified quite a bit to work well with the 6L6 power section.

+10. I've had a 2/50/2 for 8 years--EL34/6L6 version. I've used Mesa 6L6s in class A mode and I liked it, but I use JJ EL34Ls now. 6L6s couldn't be biased hot enough.

The Black Beauty 2/56/2 was marketed for 240v countries and is strictly 6L6.

I can't say enough good things about the 2/50/2. It's 8+ years old, took a hit (dropped?) to the right side, but I have yet to have a problem with it. I'd buy another to replace it, without a doubt. :D

guitarrob said:
One writer posted that the 2/50/2 takes 6L6 as well as EL34, but that's not an option in the newer 2/50/2. From what I've read, the 2/50/2 never sounded right with the 6L6, so that option was eliminated.

I had no idea the new ones were only EL34s. They certainly scream in my 2/50/2 and it couldn't be more "Marshally" to me.

i use the 2/50/2 VHT ...i kills all .... i use JJ el34 L's which are a crossed between the 34's and 6l6 tone wise ...

great sounding amp

Hey Ratkent and Riffman -

Thanks for your posts - your posts in my original 2/50/2 vs. RT2/50 thread helped me to choose the 2/50/2 as my poweramp. It was the right choice for me - great Marshally tone. I know you use the Randall cab Riffman, but what do you use for a cab Ratkent? I'm currently using one side of my 2/50/2 into a JCM800 1960 mono 4x12 (plenty of volume for rehearsal), but I'm thinking about selling that and getting a Marshall stereo 1960B to use both sides of the poweramp for gigs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

guitarrob said:
but what do you use for a cab Ratkent? I'm currently using one side of my 2/50/2 into a JCM800 1960 mono 4x12 (plenty of volume for rehearsal), but I'm thinking about selling that and getting a Marshall stereo 1960B to use both sides of the poweramp for gigs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

I use one or two Marshall 1960B cabs. Before you sell your JCM800 cab you may want to just rewire it for stereo or get one of these:

9131205.jpg

They have them here:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=634614&pg=44990&id=9131205

SacredGroove said:
As well as, a Peavey Classic poweramp

I agree with that! If you are on a budget, this is a good choice.
I have never been a fan of Peavey stuff, but a friend of used one and I was AMAZINGLY surprized how good it sounded.

A great sounding SS power amp is the Tube Works Mosvalve, A very warm amp. I keep it in my rack for a backup.

I love my Mesa, but it is hard to find the 395.

LRStrat said:
SacredGroove said:
As well as, a Peavey Classic poweramp

I agree with that! If you are on a budget, this is a good choice.
I have never been a fan of Peavey stuff, but a friend of used one and I was AMAZINGLY surprized how good it sounded.

Double ditto. My VHT got jacked up because of some bad power at a venue and was in the shop for a while. A friend found a Peavey Classic 50 on Craig's List for $125 and it sounded great. Didn't have the punch and balls of the VHT but was still useable and very musical.

Another vote for the Peavey...I have used one off and on for the past ten years when my other power amps have been having issues. Currently using a Mesa 2:50 and it is great.