RM50 effects loop problem - certain pedals not working

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtatemyballs

Reaction score
Hey folks. Looking for your experiences regarding the rm50 combo SERIES effects loop. Sorry, long post....just want to be thorough.

Here is the effects chain:

send>ebtech line shifter>visual sound volume pedal>EHX deluxe memory boy>rocktron cyborg programmable digital reverb>ebtech line shifter>return jack.

Here is my problem:

The volume pedal works FINE. On 10 gain is unity and clean and pretty as it should be.

When I use either the memory boy or the reverb pedal, both of those pedals add a severe amount of disortion to the chain making it impossible to get a clean tone.

To troubleshoot I used each pedal indivually with just the ebtech and 1 pedal in the loop. Here are the results:

Visual Volume: works like it is suppoed to . Unity gain at 10, no sound at 0. Clean, quiet....no artifacts or distortion enter into the signal.

Rocktron Reverb: adds unpleasant disortion to the signal. Impossible to get a true clean tone from the amp. Overall Volume drops 3 db or so. Distortion is introduced whether the pedal is bypassed or not as it is not a true bypass pedal.

EHX deluxe memory boy: When bypassed there is no change to the signal. When engaged, the volume drops drastically. I can make up the gain loss with the gain knob on the pedal, but by the time I am back to unity the pedal has introduced so much distortion that it is unusable. The higher the gain on the pedal, the more distortion I get.

Next I tried each pedal running in front of the amp, no effects loop involved. All pedals work fine.....just like they should, so it's not an issue with the pedals malfunctioning.

I also plugged a cable into the send and plugged the other end of the same cable back into the return, and there was no change in sound.

Just to exhaust all possibilities I changed out the tube that drives the effects loop. No change.

i also tried without the ebtech, just to see, and it was even worse.

I find it hard to believe that I can't use these pedals in the loop since I got the ebtech deal. Those 2 pedals are a pretty important part of that I do with my set up, and may be an MTS deal breaker if I can't get it working correctly. The way I use them, I need them AFTER the pre-amp so I need them in the loop.

Any ideas?

hot loop. the ebtech mustn't be reducing the signal far enough for your pedals to handle it.

Have you tried turning down the module volumes and turn your MV instead?

I have the gain on my JF OD Special on 1 to use it has a clean channel. Its volume has to stay below 10 o'clock or my Flashback delay starts clipping. The Flashback has a lot of headroom - around 6db - but the loop is just too hot. I believe TC's more expensive delays have 16db of headroom, so they might be worth checking out.

It is a very loud module though - 10 o'clock with the gain on 1 is as loud as the 59RR with vol. and gain on noon in JCM mode.

Are you sure you have the ebtech setup correctly? Doesn't it cut the incoming signal to -10db?

Yes, ebtech set up correctly. Just to make sure I switched everything backwards and it was nothing but distortion. Even worse.

Send>into the ebtech +4>out the ebtech -10 into my pedals>back into the ebtech -10>out the ebtech +4>return

Try the modules at around 11:00 and compensate at the Master on the amp.

For an additional test to make sure it's hooked up correctly, try unplugging the two loop cables at the amp. Hit a chord. Plug them back in. Is the level the same? If not, the Ebtech isn't hooked up correctly.

OK guys, turning down the module volumes to about "3" and turning up the master a bit has fixed the problem. Effects sound really clean now.

Only problem is the amp doesn't sound NEARLY as good with the module volumes that low. I was running them at about 7.

Oh well. Still sounds good, just more fizzy and less crisp.

What a boneheaded design for an effects loop. I have had amps from marshall, mesa, orange, soldano and never had any issues like this before.

Just found some old info on the bruce egnater loop level matcher. It has knobs to control the send/return levels.

Seems like it would fix my problem. Wonder if he still sells those?

I also thought about a boss ls-2. Think that would work since I already have the ebtech?

It has send and return level controls for whatever is in it's loop.

Latest posts