RM50 vs RM22

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmi

Reaction score
Hi,
i wonder if i would be happy with a RM22. I always have a RM50 and i'm afraid about the EL84.
Any opinions? They produce the same sound?

bmi said:
Hi,
i wonder if i would be happy with a RM22. I always have a RM50 and i'm afraid about the EL84.
Any opinions? They produce the same sound?

No they do not...The EL84s won't have the oomph and power of a larger sized tube...They will get plenty loud but the bottom end is lacking to some...

Check out this demo for a good way to tell if 84s will do it for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY53F03-lk

Good luck!

I have both, and I find myself playing the rm50 almost all the time. I haven't given the rm22 the attention it deserves though.

Love the 50 so much I'm considering getting a second as a backup.

I've used a 20, and there is no comparison with a band. The 84s fart out way too earlier. 50 is just right.

I must admit that I enjoy headroom...

Just to balance out some of the comments here, I use my RM22 almost exclusively, even at gigs. I find it's plenty loud enough, and the el84s provide a lot of cut that usually leaves the other guitarist's 5150 III 50w behind in the mix. I haven't turned the rm22 even to halfways at a gig, and it quiets down very nicely for bedroom playing. I even got an r2/50+rm4 combo, and while it sounds great, it wasn't a big enough difference in my mind (and it was bone-crushingly heavy) to justify the price and weight difference. There are some really good clips of guys jamming on theirs rm22 . Check these out for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dThCS9VcRYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaB-fqrj_LY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9V_OOmSUUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01G77Cm6YtQ

I own an rm4, an rm50 and a rm22 (I am very lucky)

I love my rm22 but IT IS NOT equivalent to an rm4 (which is the gold standard for me) in terms of BIG SOUND.
The rm50 really is better for louder gigs, but my particular rm50 just didnt gel with me...hence the rm222 purchase.

I am re-adjusting lots of things to get my rm22 into my live rig. I love its tone, Probably into a 4x12 Id be ecstatic...but I dont wanna lug a 4x12...
I can see once I get it all worked out..that the rm22 will be my live amp....but it will be some time. I do wish it was louder at times, but I still wont go back to my rm50....
its a lil different beast..and its excellent in its own way. It is superb for recording,imho.

GtrGeorge

I've run 2 yellow jackets with EL84's in my RM100 for a few years now. Sounds great. I liked them so much that I even wrote a little review of them on Amazon. You don't even have to rebias to install them. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Aaron,

while its a good suggestion to run Yellow jackets in a rm100...

I think it s kind useless for some people (like me)... I dont want to lug around such a heavy amp (like the rm100 combo or even a rm50 combo..and the head and cab is 2 trips to the car which is a PIA)

Id like to find a way to run a single el34 in my rm22

NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GtrGeorge

A 50 combo and a 20 combo are similar in weight. Once you get the schlep technique down (carry transformer end near your waist, using knee as lever), carrying a 50 combo isn't too bad. I can load in with two trips. One for the amp, the other for the guitar and pedalboard.

I see what your saying and I agree with you, but the op asked if he would like the sound of an rm22 compared to his rm50. I simply offered yellow jackets as an easy way to test it and find out.

Forget the combos ;) I can pick up and carry my rm22 with 2 fingers! I can bring it and my guitars in one trip, 2x12 and pedal board in the other. Super easy, no hernias, sounds great, plenty of volume! While I like the rm4/rt250 combo, the whole shebang in my 6u rack was pushing 80lbs. That was an injury waiting to happen. I've heard rm100s aren't for ballerinas, either

rhequiem said:
Forget the combos ;) I can pick up and carry my rm22 with 2 fingers! I can bring it and my guitars in one trip, 2x12 and pedal board in the other. Super easy, no hernias, sounds great, plenty of volume! While I like the rm4/rt250 combo, the whole shebang in my 6u rack was pushing 80lbs. That was an injury waiting to happen. I've heard rm100s aren't for ballerinas, either

Amen, I can attest to that.

I havent played an RM22 but have owned both the 100 and 50 at the same time. Yes, the 100 is heavy. Stupid heavy really. The versatility of MTS helps ease the pain, I assure you. For some reason, I just favored the feel and response of the RM100 over the RM50. I ended up trading off the 50 for modules and have yet to undergo buyer's remorse. Sure I don't have a backup head now, but I'm not gigging so who needs a 40lb girlfriend sitting around being ignored? I wouldn't mind the RM22 for late night recording but I honestly don't think you could have either one of these rigs and reasonably pine for more. I guess you just have to consider the circumstances in which you're playing and try to find the one that fits. Of course this coming from the guy who opted to keep the stage monster RM100 for garage recording/songwriting. Maybe it was the threesome on the front panel that was too hard to walk away from. Who knows? I love my amp. I hope you will too. If you don't like the el34, put something else in there. Hell, a good portion of this forum is dedicated to tube pros/cons. Get the RM22. If you don't love it, flip it for a modded preamp! Boom.

Another side note - rather than miking my rm22, we would run the direct out on the rm22 direct to the board, so I had a nice auxiliary feed (and even more volume) from the PA. The RM22 is a super flexible and powerful little head. Like others have suggested, try both and see which fits you best ;)

Thanks for your reply, i think i will keep the RM50 for the moment and will give a try to the RM22 one day.

I have an RM100 and an RM22. Had an RM50 for about a year. I really like all three amps.

The problem with the RM22 IMO is that it is not quite loud enough and, while I like the sound of EL84s, I don't like them all the time - and they DO color the tone much differently than any of the other tubes.

The lower head room is an issue too. If you need to get loud with high gain modules, I have noticed that the EL84 power tube distortion takes over completely - meaning you lose almost all differentiation between tones of higher gain modules.

Having said all of that, put any modded Vox style module in an RM22 and it is one of the sweetest tones you can get out of any of these amps. I have a GigMods Top Boost that is amazing with the RM22.

aaron..I see your point now, sorry If I offended.

back oT:

yeah..the way I see it the rm22 is very close to what I want in a great small,lightweight combo amp. The volume issue is remedied by: add more speakers in an outdoor venue and/or use the direct out to the board for FOH reinforcement.

I just wish the head was in the same box with a single 12. That and a lightwieght box..sa-weet!!!

GtrGeorge

Ok. I take back some of my slander against the 22.

I just tried my Voxless module in my friend's rm20 combo. It is one of the sweetest tones ever. The Voxless never quite did it for me with a 6l6 power section, but those el84s are amazing.

I know I can use yellow jackets in the 50, but a 22 head and a little 1x12 greenback cab would be a pretty hip little rig.

Anybody want to trade an rm22 for my rm50 head?