rm50hb weight

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan416802

Reaction score
Trying to decide which head I want to get. I know the rm100 is said to be between 60-70 lbs but what about the rm50 head, what is its weight?

My reason for asking is because now I have a rm4 and a rp2/200 power amp and its to much rack for me right now. I'm not giging that much so I don't really need it all. And I'm looking to simplify my setup and can't decided between the rm100 and rm50, but the weight will be a big factor.

Hope someone can help. THanks

I think it's around 50lbs. The weight is do to the transformers which are ultra heavy duty to allow for the ability to use the different tube types.

If you can do without 3 channels, get the RM50. My RM100 is the heaviest amp head I've owned and is a real pain at times. Of course, being an idiot I put together a rack with an RM4 and an RT 2/50 setup, which weighs MORE. :) I just like having a bunch of different tones on the fly, but the weight does make it a bummer. I ended up buying an SKB rack that has wheels and a luggage like extension so I can roll my rack around... but it's still an ordeal taking it upstairs to my guitar room, or putting it in my car.

Pete

I think I have all of you beat:

RM4
RT-2/50
Various other paper weights for FX
12sp shock rack

Good thing I'm young so I can ruin my back now :roll:

right now i've got a

6sp rack with rm4-rack tuner-wireless-power conditioner
4sp rack with randall rp2/200 power amp

then a 20x40 custom pedalboard loaded to the rim with effects

this past week i've been able to cut the pedalboard in half with the effects i use all the time and then i'll have a second board with stuff as i need to use it.

I'm looking to get rid of all the rack stuff and just have a head and a pedalboard

I went from a RM4 2/50 to a RM100 and now I am happy with the RM50 head. Are their any mods to The RM50 head? I know people rave about the Egnater Mod 50. Just wondering if there is anything to do to get close to the Mod 50.

chasing shadows said:
I went from a RM4 2/50 to a RM100 and now I am happy with the RM50 head. Are their any mods to The RM50 head? I know people rave about the Egnater Mod 50. Just wondering if there is anything to do to get close to the Mod 50.

I've thought about upgrading the components on my RM100 and RM20 with 'more better parts' but if I did they would probably be one offs... the real pain in the *** for me regarding amp mods has always been having to lug/ship the things and pray FedEx or whoever doesn't destroy them. Even when I was custom building amps, the only part I cringed about was shipping the amp to the new owner and praying that they made it there safely and without any problems.

The modules are a lot easier to deal with on a shipping basis.

Oh, and I'd be very wary if I was a DIY kinda guy and going to just open up my tube amp - the modules could hurt you if they held voltage in the caps, but a tube amp with the power section and stuff could KILL you. Not trying to talk anyone out of it, but poking around in a tube amp, especially one that can run KT88s and such can seal your fate in a heartbeat. I would advise extreme caution if you decide to ever do this.

Pete

Great post Pete...Gotta discharge before you do anything. About the only thing that I can see needing to be changed on the RM 100 might be the Tranny..but the one Randall uses is really good. The only other thing is the midi and back boards! :oops:

...for Rich to stop teasing us horribly with statements like that.

It's like putting a treat on a dog's nose and not letting them eat it.

Thomas

I had no intentions on doing the work myself. I have a guy who is an amp tech at a local music store who maintains all of my amps. Any and all Mods would be done buy him. I have a hard enough time making sure all of the cords are connected right' :oops: