Rocktron Velocity Power Amp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the Rocktron Velocity power amps? I know that they are solid state which isnt exacly what im looking for but im wondering how they actually sound with an RM4?
-Matt Page-

Well not trying to tip toe just trying to find something that i can actually afford.. an RT2-50 is about 90% of the money that i get each month.. and i have to pay rent,food and other stuff with that so buying one of the more expensive power amps if just a pipedream for me.. Im waiting for a Peavey 60/60 to show up somewhere but just checking out my options..
-MP-

I think at bedroom volume a Velocity would be fine. I considered it for a lightweight solution at one point. I recall it was designed by Bruce as well and have read that it has a bit of the Egnater power amp sound.

I went with a Matrix instead and it sounded great for solid state power and pretty awesome at low volume.

The thing is that when you start getting louder, solid state amps just don't do what tubes do and they sound harsh, lifeless and just don't breath like tubes. At low apartment/bedroom volumes it really doesn't matter either way as far as tubes vs solid state and in some cases, SS might be the winner.

MarcoR said:
I think at bedroom volume a Velocity would be fine. I considered it for a lightweight solution at one point. I recall it was designed by Bruce as well and have read that it has a bit of the Egnater power amp sound.

I went with a Matrix instead and it sounded great for solid state power and pretty awesome at low volume.

The thing is that when you start getting louder, solid state amps just don't do what tubes do and they sound harsh, lifeless and just don't breath like tubes. At low apartment/bedroom volumes it really doesn't matter either way as far as tubes vs solid state and in some cases, SS might be the winner.

I agree with the lower volume statement, I just plugged my newly acquired RM4 into an old "blueface" Randall 2:80 power amp I had laying around...and was quite surprised at the results. Seems like just the thing for late night jams when my daughter is sleeping.

I have the once rack space Velocity 300, which I thought was great. Live I think most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The Reactance & Definition circuits certainly help there. At lower volume or higher volume it sounded pretty good & not sterile/fizzy/transistory. Keep in mind I never had the volume past 10:30/11 o'clock. For a comparision on volume or percieved volume, the 300 had about the same volume level set at 11 o'clock as the RT2/50 does at 9 o'clock.
Where I think they could improve on the design would be to add something similar like the, EH Magnum 44 pedal, & as the volume is increased at some point it could being in some poweramp OD/distortion.

Latest posts