roland jc 120 moduel

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the crush 36

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a mod to sound like roland jc 120 for the clean tone I have always loved the clean tone that amp has

Seems like we had a discussion of this once. The problem may be that the JC120 was all solid state and we are dealing with tubes here. I am a tube guy through and through, but I have to admit, that amp had a cool sound all it's own and I would love to have a module that could do it.

I think Anthony has a design for a solid state JC120 module with built-in chorus, but there hasn't yet been enough interest for him to actually build one.

The Rossness said:
Arent the stock Clean and KH1 in the ballpark of a JC120?

They are actually...I second The Rossness...The KH-1 in particular with a good chorus in the loop- could sound very close...The Clean is another fave of mine as well too...I don't particularly use chorus but both stockers would be great...Plus you can play with some simple mods if you like to tinker...Both mods are pretty tweakable....

I have never played with the KH-1 or the Clean. I had a Blackface that is being modded by Trace and I also have the JF Superclean. They are both really nice for clean stuff and work especially well with a chorus. They still don't have that cool funky *** tone that the JC120 had. It had a weird kind of solid state crunch that was cool besides being clean.

wasn't the kh1 and all of Kirk's mods made for EMG's. They have reduced output, right?

Yeah the KH-1 was designed for active pickups. I keep the gain dimed on mine, and with a boost and an EQ I'm unable to get this thing to break up *at all*. Very solid-state acting IMO.

In the video on the Randall website they mentioned the JC120 when discussing the inspiration for the KH1, but of course that could just be marketing-speak.

+1 on the KH1. I run a G-Major in the serial loop and the chorus sounds are very solid state sounding. Reminds my of the Roland and my old high school crush the Galien-Krueger 250ML. Sounds good with both active and lazy pickups. :p

Agreed....The KH-1 sounds excellent with both actives and passives...It's got a nice straight clean that I love...

The Clean is also great and I have mine modded to sound best when played through a single humbucker....It just stays full without my having to toggle around on the guitfiddle....

ricky said:
Seems like we had a discussion of this once. The problem may be that the JC120 was all solid state and we are dealing with tubes here. I am a tube guy through and through, but I have to admit, that amp had a cool sound all it's own and I would love to have a module that could do it.

thanks for the replys i 4 got that jc120 was a solis state i use to have one years ago a use a rotovibe pedal thru it dont know why i sold it great clean tone with the built in chours