RT2/50...take back what I said about it...got it rocking \m/

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
OKAY...so I've had 3 RT2/50 units now and sold two - one due to not having enough money and one due to not being able to get the tones I wanted at low volumes...sure it's not important to many but it's #1 for me. I like the way tubes feel, sound and play but I can't practice at loud volumes.

The latest purchase rolled in on Friday (litterally via FedEx, but that's another story) and with a few tweaks I got it almost exactly the same as my RM50HB setup....and today I was able to setup the RM4 and it's delivering the goods almost 99% the same.

The only Eureka moments I got to offer are:

1. The Master volume is touchier than my RM50...a gnats whisker and it's too loud

2. I put my favorite tubes in - GT EL34M (6ca7) at 37 ma and JJ 6L6 at 32mA. The stock Ruby tubes have something to offer for sure but wasn;t digging the low end so I went with what I like.

3. I messed with how hot the signal going into the amp was...too much and it's too loud or too thin (can't get enough master on)....too little and it sounds ratty. All my pre-amp channel masters are set 12 o'clock +/- to balance them and I use the M4/RM4 pre-amp master to drive overall output (usually 12 to 3 o'clock.)

That's it.

If I had one more comment to offer, it feels like it has more low end than my RM50HB, maybe not quite so bright and sparkly on top (minor, minor diff) ...even with the same tubes.

JKD ,

you have 3 ways to control volume with the M4 rm4 rack setup would you not?

You would have the RT master .the preamp send volume and then the individual module masters .

So is the preamp send best above 12 oclock?

gtr31 said:
JKD ,

you have 3 ways to control volume with the M4 rm4 rack setup would you not?

You would have the RT master .the preamp send volume and then the individual module masters .

So is the preamp send best above 12 oclock?

Yes to all of those is what I've found. I was previously running my M4 into the FX return of the RM50 with the pre-amp master(send volume) on it 3 o'clock or higher to get the tone I wanted.

I have noticed that the Rm4 is in fact very very sensitive when it comes to volume and tone.
Its an instrument unto itself. To much preamp gain and not enough mastervol results in a very diff tone than visa versa. I have owned master volume amps for literally decades and have gotten used to trade-offs.....but the Rm4 is much more delicate with this.

Latest posts