Run me through the Recto-style mods (stock and modded)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkywrench

Reaction score
I'm planning to get my Plexi modded into a Mash-all or Mash-oldano from Salvation mods and I'm looking to also add a Recto-style tone to my module arsenal.

Problem is that I don't know a great deal about the options that are out there.

I know that there's been at least two incarnations of the Randall stock recto/treadplate mods and I know that pretty much all the modders make some sort of Recto mod, but how do they compare with each other?

Could anyone possibly give me a list and some opinions on what's out there?

I think the Grail is the best stock recto style, and the Gigmods Recto is the best modded.

But it's the only modded recto type I've used so I guess I'm not qualified to say it's 'the best'.
I know it's really good though! :D

Ive had a few recto tone modules. The one named Rectified was my favorite stocker in these. The Grail is a Recto based module. Ive had
modded Rectos from 3 pro modders and the JF was really good. Nice and
beefy but great clarity. The Gigmods Recto was awesome too. That would be my favorite modded Recto.

I had the Grail and the Rectified BigBrewtus now has for quite a while and did quite like both. The Rectified had a slightly more raw tone that was maybe a bit buzzier/fuzzier, like a rectifier.

After trying both in a studio and up really loud for rehearsals I kinda liked the Grail better, I think mainly because it seemed to have fuller low mids and a slightly warmer top end.

Other modded recto style modules I know of are;

Jaded Faith Erect (well Matt's was called that)
Salvation Deadplate
Sacred Groove Diablo
Voodoo modded Recto

Could be more, but that's all I can think of.

Stock Rectified module has been known as Recto at one time and Treadplate currently. And there have been slight revisions along the way.

I had a Grail and then had SacredGroove modify it into his El Diablo. I recorded some before and after clips, and found that the differences are actually somewhat subtle, but the top end in the Grail is kind of papery compared to that of the Diablo. The Diablo also features an orange/red channel switch, which I find very useful. The tone of the El Diablo is definitely not the modern buzzy Recto tone; it's very much based on the earliest "first 500" Rectifiers. It's a very punchy tone, and warm--so much so that I actually run mine with the treble at about 3:00 (and bright switch always on, natch).

I have a JF Tread Plate (for sale, by the by) that is pretty awesome. Has the orange/red toggle. You won't find a better Recto module for the price.

No better time to be trying them all given the used prices ;-)

I sold my Gigmods Recto with special (tight/attack) mod and limited faceplate...not because I didn't like it but because I had 5 or 6 Recto/SLO modules in my arsenal and that one commanded the highest price at the time...around 2 years ago :-/

The Orange mode on Gigmods (is different from both Salvo and JF take on it) and is worth the price of entry alone IMO.

I still have an early Salvo Deadplate (with mid sweep and re-worked tone/gain stack)....it's a bit noisy but sounds/feels so alive to play...like a beast barely under control. Mid sweep takes it from sounding like Uber to SLO style to my (tone deaf) ears.

I kept my stock Grail also, because I know that's a good go-to tone....I always think it sounds like a live version of the Metallica Black Album tone....interestingly, the only module I've ever modded to *increase* the value in c3 for more low end!!!

I've had two different later Salvo Deadplates (II) and didn't care for them, the mod was different....different feel and a duller/gainier sound.

Favorite - heard to choose between the Salvo Dead I and Gigmods. Given the money, both have something to offer.

If you went to get real close for a lot cheaper, pickup a used Grail

I have the Grail,JF Mark X and have just picked up a Gigmods Recto. All three are insane tones in their own right. At the moment I'm using the Grail as my rythym tone and the Gigmods Recto red channel as my lead and if I want to kick it over the edge the Mark X on extreme setting comes into play.
My band has been playing some Darkness tunes of late and I've found the Gigmods Recto nails that lead tone with ease.

I dig my SG Diablo - simply amazing! Everytime I switch to it in my rack it brings a big smile to my face - especially since I had to sell my pre 500 dual Rec earlier this year and this module is right there with it! His newly upgraded RVM switch is fantastic - I highly recommend Scott's Diablo.

Which recto-modded module gets closest to Ty Tabor's Dogman sound?

Jeff Hilligan had a chance to buy the actual 2-channel Dual that Ty used on the album, but it fell through. I was disappointed because I figured he would eventually base a mod on it.

iekobrid said:
Which recto-modded module gets closest to Ty Tabor's Dogman sound?

Jeff Hilligan had a chance to buy the actual 2-channel Dual that Ty used on the album, but it fell through. I was disappointed because I figured he would eventually base a mod on it.

Without a doubt, the Sacred Grooves Diablo. It's based on the "First 500" Rectifiers, which is what Ty used on Dogman.

It'll nail that tone, dead on.

I might have to try a Diablo now....got to admit I did like the clip of it..think it was posted BY Mike P?

JKD said:
I might have to try a Diablo now....got to admit I did like the clip of it..think it was posted BY Mike P?

I *think* I've posted a couple but here are two links, just in case. I should have more next month, time permitting. My schedule's been wacky lately with all kinds of non-rock requests.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/brokencatwalk.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/dirtyride.mp3

Mike P said:
JKD said:

I *think* I've posted a couple but here are two links, just in case. I should have more next month, time permitting. My schedule's been wacky lately with all kinds of non-rock requests.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/brokencatwalk.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/dirtyride.mp3

Yup..I got both of those in iTunes :)

Gigmods Recto is really awesome.....very clean,but heavy....as is the Deadplate.....

Anyone here tried the Voodoo mods? how are they compared to the other Recto mods?

See my earlier post. I like it a lot, but I seem to be one of the few here who do. It's straight-up Red-channel aggression, with all the grind, fizz, and harmonics that entails.

Rising Farce said:
See my earlier post. I like it a lot, but I seem to be one of the few here who do. It's straight-up Red-channel aggression, with all the grind, fizz, and harmonics that entails.

thanks! I'm goin' to check there website..