Salvation Chupacabra review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bito

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Bito, after months of lurking, I've decided to write my first topic to review my first modded module: the Salvation Chupacabra.

Oh, and sorry for my english, I'm french.

To put thing in context:
I'm new to MTS. I bought a used RM-50 with a recto module a few months ago. Few weeks later, I bought a used KH-1 to have a clean sound to accompany my high gain module.
The recto never satisfied me: too boomy, too loose,etc

After hearing of Salvation works, I decided to mod my recto to find a module that's versatile, tight with low tunings and that can go from from blues rock to metal.

Antonin advised me some modules and I decided to take a Chupacabra even if it lacked the notoriety of other mods like the Salvado or the Mamba

And I made the right choice.
This module fucking rocks.
I've found a great sound for everything from blues rock to Death Metal.
What defines most this amp is its versatility, its tightness, its articulation and its schizophrenia because with the mid voicing switch, you don't get one but three amps in one module.

It's one of the most plug and play amp I've ever used.
All switch combinations are usable and give interesting sounds.
You don't have to fight to get a great sound.
You don't need a tube screamer to get tight sound with low tunings

Apart from the traditionnal Gain/EQ/Volume knobs, two switch are present and make this module different from others.
Gate: noise gate that's quite useful on high gain settings
Claw switch:choice between low gain/ mid gain / high gain
Growl switch: the most important switch to me.
It changes the voicing of the mids so much that it gives you the impression that you have 3 different amps.

- Left side: Marshall vibe: a real Marshall vibe, excellent with low gain settings for a blues rock/ hard rock tone.
On High gains settings, you get a Marshall like sounding amp with lots of gain, brutality and clarity. Great for playing some Carcass riffs.

- Middle: scooped mids : at first, I didn't like this position as I liked the other two (I love mid heavy sounds) but after experimenting with different guitars and setting, I've discovered that it's wonderful to get a dark and brutal sound. With the right settings, you can get 5150 sounds ala "Machine Head - Burn my eyes". I loved playing Davidian on this position

- Right side: thick mids: some people called this position recto mids, I have to disagree. It's hard to describe this position. It's a great sounding position: thicker and ballsier than the first two positions while keeping a marshall vibe without losing articulation.

Soundclick clips and youtube videos don't do justice to this module.
They don't catch the versatility and the wide range of sound of this module.

If you like clear and articulate sounds and if you don't have a specific amp you want to copy, this is a go to module.
It's rare to find an amp that's so good at soft and brutal music.

This module really deserves to be known.

Antony, thank you for your work, this module won't leave my home.

I've had this module for a while now ( almost a year) and still love it, there's a few posts showing it some love but they were when it was first created. You made a great choice for your first modded module. The disease of the modded will soon consume your veins...Welcome to the plague :twisted:

Very cool, welcome to the other side! We have milk and cookies ;)

The Chupa is a great mod, I think it doesn't get much exposure because it is not a clone-mod.

On the other hand, every hybrid that I've heard is much better than any original (MatchVox, MashOldano, Sloogie).
As the Chupacabra borrows from some other mods/amps and Anthony's own wizardry you could say it's a monsterhybrid. :D

Let us know when you get your next mod!
Are you already looking for something?

I think I'm already infected with modded module addiction.

Right now, I'm satisfied with the Chupacabra for my high gain sounds.

So I think my next modded module will be dedicated to crunch, maybe a Vox AC30 inspired module. The Matchvox seems to be really great at covering this territory.

Then I think I'll take a different high gain module, something that's meant to sound thicker and looser than the Chupacabra.
When I asked for a mod, I hesitated with the Salvado and the Mamba before going to the Chupacabra.
Maybe a Sloogie is a great alternative.

The way you describe it I would advise either a Mash-all or Masholdano. :)

They are a bit looser, and have a great crunch sound as well as high-gain (so you could check out what tone you like it more for and use it for that).

The Sloogie ( / Salvado Deluxe with voicing switch) is pretty tight, although you can loosen it up with the 3-way tight switch (tight/normal/loose)

I just got mine in today thanks to Drewiv and I have to agree with all the love on here, this module is amazing! So much versatility in this bad boy high gain module and I do mean HIGH GAIN. And when you have it maxed it's whisper quiet with the flick of the noise gate.

This is one of the most articulate high gain modules I've owned and the growl swith does make it sound like 3 preamps in one!

Great design Anthony - been wanting to try one of these for a long time and I agree this module is very underrated - easily has jumped to top of my favorite high gain modded modules right next to my Mamba SE and my Sacred Groove Recto.

Keep up the amazing work Anthony!

Latest posts