Self modded ultra

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearnloathing

Reaction score
Hey all been lurking around the forums for about a month now and havent posted. Just got an RM100 and wanted to start doing some mods. However it seems people are pretty tight lipped about these mts moduels which is weird since I come from the groupdiydotcom we share everything. Anyway the basics of modding these modules is very basic and simple. It took me about a day to draw out the schematic for the module and understand how randall had designed the circuit. Then its just a matter of replacing some existing components with high quality stuff and with a basic understanding of tube circuits modifying the circuits to change the voltage on the tubes while maintaining bias. I would be happy to answer any questions. So here are some sound clips both record at the exact same settings on the amp and all gear no post processing at all.

Signal chain is Schecter Custom-----Randall RM100 Ultra Mod----Marshall 1960a w/g12t75----shure sm57-----Neve 1073------UA1176-----Apogee Rosetta

Sorry for the sloppy playing I was in Mod mode not Playing mod and just wanted to get something down so I could hear the difference before and after.
Stock Ultra Module
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8680901

Modded Ultra Module
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8680900

Wow, very nice job dude.
After you modded it, those ascending octave harmony runs ring out soooooo sweet.
If you're in the mood for divulging, I'd definitely be curious to know what you changed etc. I don't own an ultra, but I'm extremely interested in musical electronics and would love to know your approach to altering components/signal paths. Can PM me if you like! :D

Nice recording man...you really captured a clear guitar tone there and the mods really made for better clarity too by teh sounds of it.

8) :twisted:

fearnloathing said:
However it seems people are pretty tight lipped about these mts moduels which is weird since I come from the groupdiydotcom we share everything

That's what i tell my boss

but for some reason he comes to work in a Porsche convertible, and me with public transport

The mod adds some midrange. The stock sounded more scooped.

I look over at my amp and notice I have my mids running hot across the board (3:00 clean to 2:00 on the Mr. Scary). I also look at my input EQ pedal and notice I've got the highs over 4K cut and the very bottom <60 Hz cut.

Send me some info on the modding man! I have been wanting to learn how to do it myself, I like to tinker with things myself. Sounds awesome!