Sharing experience of poweramp for match the RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod

Reaction score
Hi, I've own RM4 for 10 years, mostly bring it to gigs in big volume,
I'd like to sharing some experience of poweramp for match the RM4 .
The power amp I've own are VHT2502, Mesa 2:100, ADA B200, marshall EL84,
After tried those I prefer the VHT2502, it's sound best of these 4, most transparent, no colored the original tone, tight low end, no harsh highs, I also tried many power tube in it, found Mesa EL34 and JJ kt66 are the best sound, and JJ EL34 is very marshall-like sounds good also,
, EH6L6 or EH EL34 are quite nice but they have a tad treble edge on highs, and sponger lows, others like Ruby, TAD, winged C, Svetlana are dull of bass ,muddy or harsh highs,
MESA 2:100 is the second, the good of it is make RM4 sound very big, punchy bass, very amp-like, but it's really colored all modules original tone, all become very rectifier sound, cannot show each module character. I'm using mesa 6l6 tubes, 5881 is too over of low ends,
ADA B200S is very rack sounding, stiff tone, and hard to tweak a good sound,
Marshall EL84 is light weight for carry , good for tweed, deluxe modules, but for high gain modules it sounds thin and tiny, lack of bass.
I haven't try the Randall RT 2/50 and Mesa Simul-Class 2:90 yet,
Any experience of them welcome to discussion please.

Hot Rod said:
I prefer the VHT2502, it's sound best of these 4, most transparent, no colored the original tone, tight low end, no harsh highs

I had a VHT 2|90|2 and I would say the same exact thing (and have on many occasions). Absolutely the best power amp for an RM4, IMHO.

Latest posts