Should I swap the 6L6s in my RM50 for EL34s?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madDdog67

Reaction score
I like to tinker...I'm kinda bored...and I have a set of Mesa EL34s in my Tweaker 15. So...I'm thinking, why not? I have the tester handy.

I'm wondering if the EL34s will give me a touch more hair (yes, I'm a Vai fanboi :)) on the SL+ module. Other than that, I'm diggin the tone from the amp, I'm just more curious to see if I can even notice a difference at the bedroom-ish levels I normally play at.

IMO I think you will like it. I did and I am glad. I actually put in EHarmonix 6CA7s but very EL34ish. The Blackface I had lost a little fender sparkle but still sounded good.

You should try it. I like all 34's in my RM100 but the 6L6 34 mix was growing on me when I had them loaded up.

You will notice more hair and less bottom. A new EQ setting may be in order.

Matt...is that the 6AC7EH that the Tube store sells? Which EL34's do you use?
How do the JJ KT77 work out in an the RM100? Are they reliable? I've been using the 6L6 that came with the amp and want to go towards the EL34 direction and hopefully keep the amp reliable.

Do you think Bruce is considering any of the elements of the current Egnater line for the new modular system (like variable tube mix and power seletion)?
I think that would at least as cool as anything he might add to the pre- section.

I like the el34's in my 50. For some reason the 6l6 tubes were to boomy for me. I have my combo on a cement floor in a basement so I'me sure that's why. Also I generally prefer Marshall tones. The Blackface peamp did lose some fender qualities but I only use it for pedals anyway. Gonna buy some new tubes soon, thinking about going with kt77. That and get some gramma's.

JD said:
Matt...is that the 6AC7EH that the Tube store sells? Which EL34's do you use?
How do the JJ KT77 work out in an the RM100? Are they reliable? I've been using the 6L6 that came with the amp and want to go towards the EL34 direction and hopefully keep the amp reliable.

Yep...6CA7EH....I like 'em a lot....I use Svetlana Winged C EL34s....Although I like JJs and Rubys too....I'm quite a bit less picky about my power tube brands than I am about preamp tube brands...Yes, they are equally important- it just seems there's a lot more to the type you use rather than the brand...Don't know about the KT77s....They're not my thing...6550s have too much headroom and 6L6s are about as much as I can handle headroom-wise...I'm a 34 guy...I like early breakup and think the 6CA7s are a nice pairing w/ EL34s...Kinda right between a 34 and 6L6...

Back when I had my Strat I got a wonderful Hendrix/Frusciante tone with a Plexi module and el34s. It's been so long I've almost forgotten what 6l6s sound like.

I have EH 6L6s in my Rm100 and I have been wondering what sound qualities would change if I went with 34s or 84s. I am a basement player, but I do usually run the master at about halfway. Could you guys school me on the major sonic differences? I am a tube noob so any help is appreciated.