SL+...is it Plexi or JCM800?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
I am a Randall newbie. I just picked up a used RM100 combo loaded with Tweed, Plexi, and SL+. The Randall website describes the SL+ as a "Hot Rodded Super Lead", which I assumed was a Plexi; yet, I have been reading all the posts on this forum about the "JCM800 mod" and how all SL+ modules with serial numbers starting with 07 or greater (mine is 0804E1113) come right from the factory with this mod. Is this module supposed to sound more like a Plexi or a JCM800?

I noticed that the SL+ sounds a lot like the Plexi module, but with more gain available. However, the Plexi has a tighter, punchier bass response than the SL+, which I prefer. Is this normal? I would prefer either that the SL+ was tighter and punchier or that the Plexi had more gain. Is the "Brown" module more in the vein of what I am describing? Is there any chance that Randall will bring back the Brown or could either the Plexi or SL+ be modded sound more Brown?

My two favorite classic Marshall type sounds are that AC/DC type crunch and Van Halen's tone on the first two VH records. Both the Plexi and SL+ do a great AC/DC type tone, but I have not yet been able to dial in a convincing EVH style sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Plexi module is Plexi :p

SL+ (since 07) is JCM800. Pre-07 it was more JCM 2000 DSL

Also, the Plexi actually has a higher bass cap than the SL+, and the SL is in reality much tighter, but it's so tight that it feels thin. A C3 mod on the SL+ will make it a lot more pleasant in the low end :)

Afraid I can't help much with the other question, sorry :(

I would find a Brown used if you love early VH
Bass cap mods seem to be popular around here, as you can really change thiongs with some mods...or seek out a pro to make the tone you want

My SL+ reminded me a lot of the dsl and tsl I had...that would be cool if they now come stock with the 800 mod, because that is a superior tone to the stock

Shinozoku:

Thanks for the suggestion! What value do you recommend at C3 and where would I find schematics?

I bought a modded plexi and its SOOO KILLER!! Not like the SL+(which is good in its own) but the plexi is just its OWN SOUND! Get them both. Cant go wrong! :wink:

Ricey said:
Shinozoku:

Thanks for the suggestion! What value do you recommend at C3 and where would I find schematics?
The Plexi uses a .0022uF cap in the C3 position, SL+ uses .001uF, so I'd try that first.

PCB layouts are found here (along with info on some mods).
http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

Latest posts