sl+ vs. Ultra XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzapstar

Reaction score
I have the ultra, grail, and kh-3. the mr. scary is coming. I think i'm interested in these mods, but not sure. what should I do?

personally,seeing that you already have the ULTRA,and a MR SCARY(on its way),i think buying a SL+ or ULTRA XL will be redundant...subtle differences from your modules,but with the same basic vibe...my 3 cents!!! :wink:

goldwing68nv said:
personally,seeing that you already have the ULTRA,and a MR SCARY(on its way),i think buying a SL+ or ULTRA XL will be redundant...subtle differences from your modules,but with the same basic vibe...my 3 cents!!! :wink:

+1

Just another post agreeing...wouldn't bother with an SL+ if you have Mr Scary and KH-3 on hand.

Hmmm...I don't own a Mr Scary right now, but last time I owned modular stuff I did and I don't remember it being much lik ethe SL+.

FWIW, I really dig the SL+, but remember not liking the Mr Scary for some reason.

Maybe I should check one out again......

mctallica1 said:
Hmmm...I don't own a Mr Scary right now, but last time I owned modular stuff I did and I don't remember it being much lik ethe SL+.

FWIW, I really dig the SL+, but remember not liking the Mr Scary for some reason.

Maybe I should check one out again......

The Mr Scary is thinner sounding than the SL+ ..... maybe that was it?

but the stock SL+ is merely meh....while the Mr Scary rocks out of the box.

thank you. I think i'm returning the mr. scary. I have an op to buy an sl+ with orange drop mod, is this better or still just meh?

I have a modded SL+ with JJecc83 tubes and a stock KH-3 in the slot to the left of it. I absolutely love the SL+. Th KH-3 seems to lack mids to me, and just doesnt have the ooomph that the SL+ has. Ill admit I didnt think to much of the SL+ pre mod, but afterwords I wouldnt get rid of it.

After only having the KH-3 for a week or so, I wont make a hasty decision, but its definatley not doing much for me at this time. I do have a Keeley Fuzz Head and Java Boost pedal coming so Ill see what it sounds like after a nice front end push as well as after changing out the tubes.

Bottom line try every module you can get your hands on and pick and choose your arsenal that way.
Good Luck
Shane

I know that its supposed to have a ton of mids I was just saying it seemed to lack it with my setup, even with a GE-7 in front setup in a frown.

What do you mean 3 different mid voicings in the EQ? Maybe I dont have it setup properly, bass is @ 11-12, mids 12-1, treble 3-4 and gain 3-4 bright switch off.
Shane

Actually I ws mistaken, Bass is 11-12, mids 11-12 treble is 3-4 and bright is on.

maximus1 said:
the kh-3 has lots of mids, and 3 different mid voicings in the eq

The KH-3 definately has a broader sweep control than any other module but am not sure what you're saying here either....are they shifting the midpoint / Q with the control as well as the level?

well, i guess i was saying that its broad :wink: because it does basically stay somewhat dry sounding no matter where its set, but i think its (the module) very versatile and sounds good no matter how the eq is set and even adjusting the presence changes it a little as well. pretty good module overall but maybe not the be end all for high gain imo.