SL+ What year was jcm800 mod added?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pre 2007 SL+
what difference in tone should I expect?
more mids than post 2007 (JCM 800 mod)?
more gain?

GtrGeorge! said:
I have a pre 2007 SL+
what difference in tone should I expect?
more mids than post 2007 (JCM 800 mod)?
more gain?

Your's should be scoopier, more like a Plexi, but with more gain. The JCM800 has more mids and sounds like a blanket was lifted off the speaker. It's much better!

Julia said:
The number on my SL+ is: 0807R066.... when was it made?
Not sure, but does it have that JCM800 crunch to it? Also, what's the value of the C3? If it's .001uF, you have a post-07 module. If it's a .0047, it's pre-07.

So you can tell the correct SL+ by the C3 only?
Or are the modules date stamped?

If they are chrome faced are these pre JCM 800?
Or the have to be the black faced ones?

Thanks for any info

silverface are definitely the old batch, blackstripes came afterwards, but then I think the 800 mods came after that- which means blackstripes can be either...and blackfaces I thought were added on as replacement plate so that could be anything

To-student said:

Thanks for any info
I believe the C3, C14, and R31 are all different between the two types. JCM800 modules will have a lower C3, higher C14 and R31.

Shinozoku said:
To-student said:

Thanks for any info
I believe the C3, C14, and R31 are all different between the two types. JCM800 modules will have a lower C3, higher C14 and R31.

JCM800 is 470pf@C14 and 33K@R31. Original version (stock) is 250pf@C14 and 56K@R31. :wink:

Well C14 says if I see it right 471K and R31 is Red/Black/Orange/metallic color. Whatever that is. If Wiki is correct that's 470 pf but I don't know what those colors mean. and that S/N looks like it would be either August 07 or July 08. So it seems like JCM800.

I've never heard a JCM 800 close up except back maybe when I didn't know what they were. And of course you can't really tell on a recording because even back in the 1980s they were using sonic maximizers, pushing them with tubescreamers, and whatever the mikes were picking up at lower recording studio volumes and acoustics, and out of whatever speaker was in the cabinets. So you can't tell from any recordings.

Like I had my Mr. Scary sound like a SLO being played through a Bogner cabinet compared head to head. But I didn't have a Soldano cabinet available to check that.