SL2 and EG3/4 - How Do They Compare?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWSEthan

Reaction score
Can someone explain how similar / dissimilar these two modules are? As I understand it, EG3/4 is Bruce's idealized high gain Marshall tone. But ist that also what the SL2 is supposed to be? Which one gives the fattest, juiciest, most defined Marshall-esque rhythm and lead tones?

If anyone has both and can do comparison clips, that would be amazing! :lol:

Im GASing hard for a high gain Marshall-type module but want to make the right choice here!

Thanks,
Matt

That's an easy one. The Egnater sl2 will get you a lot closer to the Marshall tone than the eg3/4 module. To my ears, the eg3/4 module has something different going on in the mids that just doesn't sound as "pure" to me. It's not a bad module, but not my fav at all.

Guitarzzan, do you consider the sl2 as a dark sounding marshall module or not at all? The thing that bothers me the most about the regular randall SL+ is that its voiced much "darker" compared to a marshall.

EWSEthan said:
Can someone explain how similar / dissimilar these two modules are? As I understand it, EG3/4 is Bruce's idealized high gain Marshall tone. But ist that also what the SL2 is supposed to be? Which one gives the fattest, juiciest, most defined Marshall-esque rhythm and lead tones?

If anyone has both and can do comparison clips, that would be amazing! :lol:

Im GASing hard for a high gain Marshall-type module but want to make the right choice here!

Thanks,
Matt

I may be able to do that when I get some time. Out of curiosity, what type of music would you be playing through them?

John thatd be amazing if you could. Id really appreciate it. Im for the most part a straight up hard rock player. My band now has a Foo Fighters type thing going on but my Nuno Bettencout, King's X, Van Halen influences surely come through...

I have no doubt that both EG4 and SL2 probably do big singing leads pretty well. Im mostly concerned about the EG3 for driving rhythms. Now, like I said I dont play any metal, but I do use a fair amount of gain (about halfway up on the MHG channel A for Rhythm, 3/4 up Channel B for leads) and Im concerned if EG3 side has enough on tap. The other thing Im curious about is just how different the voicings are if they are both marhall based.

-Matt

metalmm785 said:
Guitarzzan, do you consider the sl2 as a dark sounding marshall module or not at all? The thing that bothers me the most about the regular randall SL+ is that its voiced much "darker" compared to a marshall.
I'd say that the first channel of the SL2 will easily get that bright, crunchy, present sound of a classic Marshall...think AC/DC. The second channel is noticeably thicker, creamier, has more sustain and is a little spongier on the bottom end (to my ears). It will get you that 80's rock/metal tone and is a nice, rich tone for soloing.
To my ears, the SL2 module is more versitile and just a more natural sounding module than the Eg is. To my ears, the Eg3/4 has some mid thing going on that doesn't quite do it for me. It sounds generic and without much personality of it's own. I know some will disagree with me, but that's just my thoughts. You can't go wrong with either one, it's really just a matter of preference.

cheers.

I've got the EG3/4 but have never tried any of the SL modules. Is the amount of gain pretty much the same in EG3/4 and SL2?

Guitarzzan, what kinda mid thing is that....more mids? More honk? If you're familiar with frequencies could you describe what it has more/less of?

Is the EG3/4 with the bright switch on "1 or 2" similar to the SL2 with bright off?

If using a neck pickup I find that I need to engage the bright switch on the EG3/4 or else it'll sound too "hollow". Same with the SL?

Or any comparison recordings would of course help immensely :)

Just tryin' to find out what I need, or not. Gets a bit too expensive to try out here in Norway...

Latest posts