Something smooth and airy w. pedal - ideas?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
The objective: I'm in mid process of completing my rig and I'm focusing on the rhythm tone for now. The plan was going with a fairly dark-ish speaker into which I could run distortion to brighten it up into something usable, something smooth and kind of light in the highs yet with an elegant roll-off in the trebles.

Type of distortion: I'm going all pedal distortion, for which I just acquired an Xotic AC Plus which is just heaven in a box. It can be set to mix hard-clipping and soft-clipping tones to the right amount of grind and tightness - just what I wanted. Then it could be said to have something of a Vox tone to it, although perhaps not that AC-cented.

Possible module: Somewhere along the line I thought the VX module would be great for a rhythm module, so I got one of those. But when I tried it in the past it turned out a bit too steely for my purposes. Probably a clash with the othewise fine stamped frame Fane speaker. Will likely replace the C4 with a lower value though, but no guarantee it will work in this position.

Output bottles: I'm just nuts about KT outputs and I'm curious about GL KT77s here, but these being bright and even described as "Voxy-sounding" it seems I'm just piling Vox-characteristics ontop of oneanother and I'm sure nothing great will come out of that - or is there? I do have a resonance switch on my Marshall poweramp, so I can tame some of the potential edge there, but nontheless...

The predicament: Well, needless to say I think I'm over compensating for the dark speaker and not going in the right direction here. I feel I should probably be going with a different module, one that is smoother or even rolled off in the highs. And one that has more natural lows, as long as they don't overbear.
I do have a backup Plexi and if that doesn't work could rebuild it into a lowered gain Brown or JTM or something. Then the problem may lie elsewhere and I'm merely trying to build around it by blaming and wanting to change the module.

Ideas? I did try the AC Plus pedal through the Egnater SL module with the KT66s (at high resonance) and a more forward cast frame Fane intended for the lead channel, and it sits pretty nicely that way, although a bit on the dark side (don't want to alter the lead settings on the module) and sounding too Marshally.[/list]

wesarvin said:
What kind of guitar and pickups?
I mainly use ESP St (Strat style) and Eclipse (lightweight LP style) guitars. I have a thing for Dimarzio pickups as I think they are clear in a good way. Actually therein lies the key to my tone, I think: clear yet thick/ fat.

I might as well list the modules I have now:
Egnaters - SL, VX and Twin
Randall - Plexi
These I can trade, modify myself or have modified to get in the ballpark.

joey_truelove said:
Why would you suggest the Bman specifically? Any advantage compared to the JTM for instance, which are after all pretty similar.

I suggested that becuase it appeared you were working with Egnater modules and the Bman takes pedals very well. It is the first module I bought back in 2006 and the only one that lasted that long as well. I have no experience with a JTM module Egnater or Randall. The Bman is very round and warm sounding; I also tried the Egnater SL for the same type of use and found is quite dull compared to the Bman.

MarcoR said:
joey_truelove said:
Why would you suggest the Bman specifically? Any advantage compared to the JTM for instance, which are after all pretty similar.

I suggested that becuase it appeared you were working with Egnater modules and the Bman takes pedals very well. It is the first module I bought back in 2006 and the only one that lasted that long as well. I have no experience with a JTM module Egnater or Randall. The Bman is very round and warm sounding; I also tried the Egnater SL for the same type of use and found is quite dull compared to the Bman.
Right, that makes sense, thanx. I think the christmas rush must have got to me as I seem to have confused the Bman with the Randall Tweed there.

I'll definitely look into one, if I can get hold of that variety.

Line 6 DM

slightly boost it with a boost pedal

every dirt tone of the past 30yrs is in that thing !!

Latest posts