studio monitors

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacksauce said:
Thanks for the great advice Mike! Anything you can recommend would be very appreciated! It's difficult to be patient but I'm keeping busy laying out the floor plan and pricing some panels. That's a great saying - which I believe I've already violated a few times. I think I'll take your advice with the headphones and start out slow.

I'd recommend the Ultrasone Proline 550's for starters and a very good headphone amp with EQ like the Samson S-Phone. You'll use both after purchasing monitors down the road. I track everything in headphones and this setup sounds amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2/184-7496188-5272201

http://www.frontendaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9999-01194&click=18920

Good luck!

kylendm said:
I'm definitely just a hobbyist when it comes to recording so if you are too don't worry about doing big treatments and stuff like that.

Kyle, treatment, especially bass traps, are extremely important-just as important as the studio monitors, converter, instruments and so on. Without proper treatment, mixes aren't likely to translate properly.

For someone who's interested in making good home recordings, it makes a tremendous difference and it's really not all that expensive.

You might want to check out the new EQUATOR monitors. Great reviews and I believe you can get them for the introductory price of $299. Worth looking into. And possibly add a sub later.

Mike P said:
kylendm said:
I'm definitely just a hobbyist when it comes to recording so if you are too don't worry about doing big treatments and stuff like that.

Kyle, treatment, especially bass traps, are extremely important-just as important as the studio monitors, converter, instruments and so on. Without proper treatment, mixes aren't likely to translate properly.

For someone who's interested in making good home recordings, it makes a tremendous difference and it's really not all that expensive.

But if you are just a hobbiest you can get away with a lot less. There's always room for improvement in the future. I live in an apartment and can't get away with all that kind of treatment and such but I still get nice mixes.

kylendm said:
But if you are just a hobbiest you can get away with a lot less. There's always room for improvement in the future. I live in an apartment and can't get away with all that kind of treatment and such but I still get nice mixes.

I have no idea what your mixes sound like, so I can neither agree or disagree. But there isn't much involved in putting up a few 4'x2'x1" 705 panels with Z-hooks. You'd have a few drywall holes to patch and that's it.

Appreciate the priceless advice guys. I'm going to treat the room but nothing overboard - we'll see how passionate about recording i get. Always liked working with music so I'll probably go nuts eventually.

I really like Ultrasone's manufacturing process and their off center drivers. I did some research and was also impressed by the AKG 701. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Q701's. Trying to find a local shop to sit down and do a comparison.

Deisel401, thanks for the mention of EQUATOR. Their about page is very interesting!
"Equator Audio Research was founded in 2007 by Ted Keffalo. Ted has a long history in audio going back decades. In 1995 he co-founded Event Electronics, who's cutting edge designs ushered in the active direct field monitoring explosion. Before that he was one of the initial members of Alesis Studio Electronics. "

Jacksauce said:
I really like Ultrasone's manufacturing process and their off center drivers. I did some research and was also impressed by the AKG 701. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Q701's. Trying to find a local shop to sit down and do a comparison.

What audio interface are you using?

My advice would be to purchase a headphone amp first, then purchase both pair of headphones, then return whichever pair you like least.

Also, never purchase a prosumer or pro audio item based on a magazine article or specs. Articles and reviews are always skewed toward the manufacturer (i.e., advertiser) and specs rarely, if ever, reveal the true sound of an item.

Jacksauce said:

The 701's were designed for electronic music and DJ's - not for producing music. Personally, I'd avoid them.

I'd recommend the Ultrasone Proline 550's for starters and a very good headphone amp with EQ like the Samson S-Phone. You'll use both after purchasing monitors down the road. I track everything in headphones and this setup sounds amazing.

Good advice as always MikeP.. another thing to note is to make sure the headphones are comfortable on your ears. For a while i was recording and trying to mix with my vic firth isolation headphones on. HORRIBLE mistake. for one they are bass heavy. Two, they are heavy and make my ears hot as hell. I can't stand wearing them for that purpose. Headphones are prob the best bet if you don't want to treat the room right off the bat. A treated area still makes / can make a diff for the recorded sounds though. (Hence the treated closet for guitars) Bass traps would be huge though. I noticed a big diff. in my space just standing there after i treated it. Almost sounds like air is sucked out because reflections are cut down considerably.

Excellent advice Mike! Thanks again! Definitely not doing electronic music. I'm recording from my cab with a Shure sm57 into a Tascam 1800.

Here's where I've been reading mainly http://www.head-fi.org/f/4/headphones-full-size

In addition to the Ultrasone's, the other phones I've considered are Sennheiser HD 600 or 650, Beyerdynamic DT880(semi-open) or DT990(open), maybe lower end Grados? I like the idea of buying a few then trying them out, would like to narrow it down to two.

Kapo, good point on the comfort! Most likely would be wearing them for long periods. I've read great things about the Beyerdynamic DT 770's being comfortable for isolation.

Jacksauce said:
Excellent advice Mike! Thanks again! Definitely not doing electronic music. I'm recording from my cab with a Shure sm57 into a Tascam 1800.

Here's where I've been reading mainly http://www.head-fi.org/f/4/headphones-full-size

In addition to the Ultrasone's, the other phones I've considered are Sennheiser HD 600 or 650, Beyerdynamic DT880(semi-open) or DT990(open), maybe lower end Grados? I like the idea of buying a few then trying them out, would like to narrow it down to two.

Kapo, good point on the comfort! Most likely would be wearing them for long periods. I've read great things about the Beyerdynamic DT 770's being comfortable for isolation.

Jack, first things first: Purchase a headphone amp with EQ (either the Samson S Phone or Behringer Powerplay), then begin to audition headphones. Most companies these days have at least a 30 day return policy, which should be ample time to make a decision.

My experience with Sennheiser's have been blah. They've been way too "flat" without extended highs or lows. Some people hate the Grados, some love them. The Ultrasones, IMO, sound like studio monitors. They have an enormous amount of clear low end and they translate well, meaning that nothing sounds weird or out of place. I actually turn up the bass on the headphone amp to about 2 O'clock and reduce the treble to about 10 O'clock. That way, I get a very full mix without any piercing high end that can quickly cause ear fatigue.

If headphones are your only source for a while, be sure to mix on different days than you record. The sound pressure will negatively affect your eardrums, especially after long sessions in phones and you'll definitely want to take a lot of breaks, whether you're tracking or mixing.

Mike, that's exactly what I'd like out of a pair of phones. Essentially be able to hear what the listener will but put them on to zoom in on fine details. I'm going to pull the trigger on your recommendations. Thanks again, really value your options especially with your experience and credentials!

Jacksauce said:
Mike, that's exactly what I'd like out of a pair of phones. Essentially be able to hear what the listener will but put them on to zoom in on fine details. I'm going to pull the trigger on your recommendations. Thanks again, really value your options especially with your experience and credentials!

Hey Jack, thanks for the kind words. Good luck with the purchases and please keep us posted!

Mike P said:
If headphones are your only source for a while, be sure to mix on different days than you record. The sound pressure will negatively affect your eardrums, especially after long sessions in phones and you'll definitely want to take a lot of breaks, whether you're tracking or mixing.
Very good advice, I record on headphones because we don't have monitors there and then I mix at home. Every mix I've tried to make there on headphones is crappy ;) Headphones definitly give much quicker ear-fatigue.

Purchased this headphone amp today: POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700

Mike, which model of Ultrasone's do you use? The PRO 550 is what I plan on buying but wouldn't mind spending a little more if it's worth it.

P.S. I've heard a lot of good things about the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for heavy rock and metal even though it's priced less.

Jacksauce said:
Purchased this headphone amp today: POWERPLAY PRO-XL HA4700

Mike, which model of Ultrasone's do you use? The PRO 550 is what I plan on buying but wouldn't mind spending a little more if it's worth it.

P.S. I've heard a lot of good things about the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for heavy rock and metal even though it's priced less.

I use the PRO 550's and I'm extremely happy with them. The ATH-M50's are cool, though in my experience, don't have as much detail as the Ultrasones.

Hope that helps!